Update time

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
mustang_john

Update time

Post by mustang_john »

Hello everyone,

Just thought I would post an update as to what's happening in my shaving world.

I took the plunge last week and ordered 100 Gillette 7 O'clock blades, for the princely sum of £10 and got a pack of 10 Feathers for free.
Given up on the Wilkinson Sword blades, no definite answer, but they just don't seem to agree with me.

On the soap front, many thanks to Shadow, who in one of my other posts, mentioned Palmolive being available here in England, so after some searching, I found the cream at my local Morrison's supermarket. I love the smell of this stuff, really old fashioned, just how I think it should smell. Now the Bluebeard stuff was good, no denying that, but at £9.99 a tub it's not cheap. The Palmolive cream is £1.89 per tube, feels just as nice as the Bluebeard and gives me just as good a shave.

Not many cuts these days except from the odd spot the gets its "lid" taken off!

One area I still find troublesome is my chin area, or either side of it to be exact, I find I have to shave those areas many times in different directions, almost a circle to get them smooth. Not sure if that's the right thing to do, but it kinda works, all be it with the odd cut. Suggestions on that gratefully received.

Finally, those free Feathers that I got, well I tried one this evening. Pleased to say my head is still firmly attached to my shoulders and no cuts at all. Interesting shave if I'm honest. I was a bit in awe of them until I began to shave. I expected them to be mega sharp and fierce, but on the whole, I felt that although they are sharp, I didn't find them excessive compared to the Gillette's. At this juncture, I can't see myself forking out the almost double price tag for the Feathers.

So there you have it, enjoying wet shaving after all these years of electric, my Braun now sits on the shelf look sad and neglected, though I still sometimes use it to finish off under my nose and bits I have missed.

Hope everyone is fit and well, best regards,

John.
CMur12

Re: Update time

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks for the update, John. It sounds like you're doing quite well.

Technique will develop rapidly at first, after which the evolution thereof will be more gradual and subtle. It has been suggested that it takes around a year to really achieve mastery of the shave. I think there is something to that, and from that point of reference your progress is very good.

Although I learned to shave with a Schick Injector and a Gillette DE many years ago, it was just to get the job done. I came to these forums over eight years ago, which is when I really started to work on the skilled shave. I can say that my technique is still developing subtly and will probably continue to do so indefinitely.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Way to go John!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Thanks for the update John. Being from Lancashire, you do understand how very close you are to the Home of Mitchell's Woolfart, don't you? Just across the county into West Yorkshire - Bradford to be exact.

Palmolive is no question the best lathering value known to shaving-mankind. You oughta grab a shave stick next time you are at the store. Any one of your local Asda, Tesco, Morrison's or Sainsbury's should have it. You cannot beat a 50g shave stick for £0.50! I'll be grabbing a half a dozen or so when we come over in the fall.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
mustang_john

Post by mustang_john »

jww wrote:Thanks for the update John. Being from Lancashire, you do understand how very close you are to the Home of Mitchell's Woolfart, don't you? Just across the county into West Yorkshire - Bradford to be exact.
Thankfully on the right side of the border :D

Hehe, wait for it :)

John.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, Glad to hear that it's going well and I agree with others that those 'problem' areas you still have will sort themselves out most likely with continuing practice. Enjoy the Palmolive it is a genuinely decent shave cream. We actually had a version of it still available here in the U.S. until quite recently. I used to advise newbies to get some as it was inexpensive and yet was a good quality traditional type shave cream. It's a real shame that it's no longer offered here. Enjoy!
Regards,
Gordon