Home Page | Gallery | PM Inbox | Forum Index  

Alum Blocks?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!

Re: Alum Blocks?

Postby nwohio » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:41 pm

I always used Thayer's Witch Hazel after my shaves. After reading all the great things written about alum I tried using it in place of the witch hazel. My face liked it a lot but my neck could not tolerate. It caused red bumps and irritation on my neck. I went back to WH.
Mike
nwohio

Postby JRTASTER » Sun May 03, 2015 6:22 am

Mike,
I was skeptical about alum blocks for the longest while, but once I tried it as a post shave, I was a convert.
No irritation, nice astringent feeling... just what I wanted. I still finish with a post shave soother,and/or an
alcohol-based scented after-shave

Then, I got fancy and tried using it as a deodorant (another use widely touted by some here) ---what a
disaster. Terrible irritation and red raw underarms for several months. Wow!! BIG mistake!!

One suggestion: if you apply the alum block do you leave it on "permanently?" How about applying it,
leaving on for a minute or two, then rinsing it off (maybe with your witch hazel)?Just a thought!

Good Luck!
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
JRTASTER

Postby Squire » Sun May 03, 2015 7:50 am

Oh, I had the bright idea of using it as a deodorant and that worked . . . for a couple of hours.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Postby mustang_john » Mon May 04, 2015 8:47 am

My mrs has an alum deodorant as she's allergic to the chemicals in most others. She just wets it, and applies it. Each one last about two years!!!!!
mustang_john

Postby EL Alamein » Wed May 13, 2015 5:58 pm

Well they may not bury me with my current block of Alum. My 2 year old son recently got his hands on it while I at the office and apparently dropped it and knocked off a slight chunk. If this keeps up I'll eventually have to replace it. Hopefully not though.

Chris
EL Alamein

Postby Squire » Wed May 13, 2015 8:14 pm

When my son was 2 he would look up in amazement while I shaved. Now he's taller than me and more inclined to reach over my shoulder to "borrow" some aftershave. Surprising how often a child will say borrow when what they mean is permanent loan.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Postby EL Alamein » Thu May 14, 2015 6:15 pm

Squire wrote:When my son was 2 he would look up in amazement while I shaved. Now he's taller than me and more inclined to reach over my shoulder to "borrow" some aftershave. Surprising how often a child will say borrow when what they mean is permanent loan.

Squire, yes! But isn't it glorious to see them use it. You know you've done well.

Chris
EL Alamein

Postby Squire » Thu May 14, 2015 9:15 pm

That it is Chris, that it is.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Postby SonOfRobert » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:43 am

Like jrtaster above, I also developed a rash under my arm on the right side. Dr. decided it was yeast??? Took two months of oral and topical treatment to get rid of it. The difference for me was that I had used the alum type deodorant (not my alum block) for several years. It really worked for me during that time. Wife said it eliminated my underarm odor. Used the Mennen while fighting the infection, but went back to the alum after it cleared up. No trouble since (knocks loudly on wood).
SonOfRobert

Postby brothers » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:52 am

After reading that some folks use alum blocks as deodorant with good results I tried it. Apparently my body chemistry is immune. Had to go back to what was previously working.
Gary
brothers

Postby jww » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:26 am

brothers wrote:After reading that some folks use alum blocks as deodorant with good results I tried it. Apparently my body chemistry is immune. Had to go back to what was previously working.

I had the same issue a few years back when I tried it as well. I still use an alum block post shave, though.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
jww
Woolly Bully

Postby Squire » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:26 am

They certainly don't work for me, at least in that regard.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Postby preidy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:43 am

I use mainly as an astringent plus it just makes my face feel great. Although a little more costly than the larger block I use the travel alum stick (Omega). It's more comfortable and easier to rub on my face than a larger block. Also it takes up less space in my small cabinet.
preidy

Previous

Return to ShaveMyFace University