Re: Shaving When You've Got Acne

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
mitesh

Post by mitesh »

Do you have any tips for shaving with acne as I've got real sensitive skin. I've tried used a safety razor and it's quite good and eventually I'd love to migrate to a proper straight razor but until my skin sorts itself out I won't be able to do this any-time soon. Any hints, tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Tip1: if what you're doing is working don't rock the boat. Stick with it.

Tip2: what makes a straight razor "a proper razor"? Just something to think about. Having written that I have to ask why wouldn't it work just as well as a safety razor?

For quite a few years I used nothing but DE and SE (single edge) razors. Only recently have I tried a Rolls Razor which uses a segment of straight razor blade in a hoe configuration. I never plan to use a straight (famous last words). There is no progression that is carved in stone that one must follow to a conclusion. Do what works for you (see tip #1).

I can't help with the acne and shaving beyond suggesting some experimentation. After shaving rub the face with an alum block, it might help, it might not, but it is anti-microbial. If that doesn't work, then use it for the underarms. Keep the salt from the block out of the eyes. More info' than that, nothing.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

As trite as it sounds acne sufferers simply must shave carefully.
Regards,
Squire