Trying to help someone identify the maker of a brush & stand

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Hunter

Trying to help someone identify the maker of a brush & stand

Post by Hunter »

Hello. I am trying to help a friend identify the maker of a shaving brush and stand. I do not know anything about colleting shaving implements, I simply do the research but learn new things every single day.

The brush set was purchased off Ebay from a place in Pennsylvania.

The Lucite base has the word M Vincit T molded into it – extruding the ‘V’ extends over the letters ‘incit’

The black area of the brush has what we think are the words Vincit Puro Tasso. I was able to determine that Puro Tasso means 100% Silvertip Badger. It translated from Italian so I am assuming this may have been produced in Italy. I also determined that the word ‘Vincit’ means to win, or conquer, or work hard for...and was also translated from Italian. The letter ‘T’ in Tasso also extends over the letters ‘as’ in Tasso and ‘ro’ in Puro.

Someone suggested the handle was made to hold powdered cream.

Because of it’s basic build I thought perhaps the M Vincit T could be a personalization but that does not explain the word being used in the handle.

I know Da Vinci brush company also made shaving brushes.

I was hoping one of you learned individuals can help me solve this mystery.
Thank you in advance. :D
Attachments
Brush7.jpg
Brush7.jpg (74.24 KiB) Viewed 6772 times
Brush6.jpg
Brush6.jpg (13 KiB) Viewed 6772 times
Brush5.jpg
Brush5.jpg (59 KiB) Viewed 6772 times
Brush4.jpg
Brush4.jpg (79.53 KiB) Viewed 6772 times
Brush3.jpg
Brush3.jpg (119.32 KiB) Viewed 6772 times
Brush2.jpg
Brush2.jpg (52 KiB) Viewed 6772 times
Brush1.jpg
Brush1.jpg (64.29 KiB) Viewed 6772 times
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Trying to help someone identify the maker of a brush & s

Post by Squire »

It looks like boar bristle to me, dyed to simulate the appearance of badger.
Regards,
Squire
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

Thank you Squire! Is there a way I can explain to him how to tell the difference? :lol:

Regards
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hunter the best way I've found to explain the difference is hand him a badger brush for comparison and the differences become more apparent than they would from a verbal description.

Your pictures are intriguing. I'm not sure if the hollow handle was intended to hold something shave related such as shaving powder (essentially powdered shave soap) or talc as that idea appears impractical for daily use. It seems more likely the threaded base was used to secure the knot to the handle and the glue dried out over the years.
Regards,
Squire
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

Thank you Squire.

Perhaps it is the phrase Puro Tasso on the brush (100% Pure Badger) that is what is confusing. Not knowing the in's and outs of this collecting genre I did not consider the labeling to be deceiving.

Do you recognize the brush as the product of any particular manufacturer? Perhaps if you do not recognize the manufacturer another member may...I have been looking for another like this for quite a few days and have not found one so they appear to be somewhat unique.

Thank you for your assistance. Have a good day.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

For some reason I was trying to translate the phrase puro tasso as hog bristle as I connected the word tasso with swine but have since determined that tasso is a culinary term for jerked pork in French or Spanish but in Italian means badger.

For the rest I can't say except it's probably Italian made.
Regards,
Squire
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

I thank you for your time Squire. We concur it is badger and probably made in Italy. Perhaps another member may log in and recognize the piece. Have a good day.

Regards,
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hunter wrote:Thank you Squire! Is there a way I can explain to him how to tell the difference? :lol:

Regards
It appears to be badger, to my eye. I think the shape of the hair looks less like boar than badger. What can I say. :?:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

So, anybody got any idea who made this thing?
Regards,
Squire
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

I am much obliged for any help you may provide. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
brothers

Post by brothers »

Maybe this is something that's already been suggested, but when I google Vincet Toiletries ("Vincet T"?) I came up with several listings for Vincet Toiletries, all in Italian. Seems to me that you should contact Vincet to inquire about the shaving kit that bears their brand name. I apologize if this has already been suggested.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

Gary,
That is a wonderful clue. At no time did I use the word "toiletries" in my searches. The thought had not occurred to me. Thank you. I will continue my search in that direction. For your information I will report back to you my findings.

Thanks again and enjoy your day.

Regards, :D
brothers

Post by brothers »

So Hunter, any news?
Gary

Hunter

Post by Hunter »

No unfortunately. The person who I was helping is just going to add the piece to his collection as a "mysterious piece". I do thank you for your suggestions and help. Should an identification be made I will be sure to let you know.

Regards.