I Wish I Had Known

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Courierdog

I Wish I Had Known

Post by Courierdog »

I have had a change of mind on two fronts.
1. I use only the Razorock Stainless Steel Slant as it ensures much longer blade life and a closer and safer shave.
2. I have long been a proponent of Uberlather due mostly to my dry sensitive skin.
Enter Mitchell’s Wool Fat and the Lather world as I knew it changed forever.

I can now achieve as good a lather using just MWF and water as I could using ANY soap/cream/glycerine.

Not only is it more economic in cost it saves time as well.

I do how ever find the proponents of the cooler water exponents for the soak and mixing have a point when it comes to working up a good working lather. I suspect this is part of the history of the origination of MWF as in those days the only source of hot water was from the tank on the back of the wood or coal burning stove or a kettle on the stove.

Soaking both the soap and brush in room temperature water and mixing the lather with only this water produces a fast and usable lather and with only hot water added to the scuttle prior to lathering the face. The lather is warm and dense and provides lots of shaving protection for a standard three pass shave.

The Basic Five components of shaving are
1. Water, it is nicer if the water is soft but not essential
2. Brush, soft tips for comfort, large knot for back bone
3. Soap, of personal choice, which provides the quality of lather required for skin type
4. Razor which provide excellent blade rigidity such as the RRSSS
5. Blade, which is sharp and provides a close comfortable shave
6. Optional Scuttle to keep the lather warm between passes

I can only wish my elders knew and or shared this when I began shaving as a teen.
Moss Scuttle Cobalt Blue
Franks Silver Tip (26mm/50mm)
Mitichell's Wool Fat
Persona Lab Blue
Razorock Stainless Steel Slant
Edwin Jagger Alovera
brothers

Re: I Wish I Had Known

Post by brothers »

Well said!

In response to your closing remarks, we're all in the same boat, even those elders you mention. Those guys, my dad, granddad, etc., had different situations to address, each unique in context. My own dad only ever had one razor, the overly aggressive triangle hole Gillette Tech. He always had nicks and cuts.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Cd, welcome aboard.
Regards,
Squire
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Welcome to SMF!
David