Technique Question

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
rlb2444

Technique Question

Post by rlb2444 »

I am just learning the art of shaving and there is something that I am sure it's simple but I can't grasp it.

I spend some time warming up my face and softening my whiskers. Skin is soft and warm when I start lathering my face with my brush. The lather is nice and warm as well. When I am through with the first pass I start lathering for the second pass but the lather has cooled down.

There has got to be a way to keep the brush and the lather warm thought the shave but I can't figure it out.

Would you please share me some tips how you deal with this?

Thanks,

Bob
Jbbmad2

Re: Technique Question

Post by Jbbmad2 »

Welcome sir! I'm probably the least qualified to answer compared to the wisdom of others, but most seem to use a scuttle which would keep your cream warm for the duration of your shave. I simply splash hot water back on my face between passes if I feel like I need it. I'm sure you'll get more answers later this evening.
Bruce
Bruce
Proverbs 3:5-6
Gig'em!
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Welcome to SMF, Rob!

For the purpose of keeping the lather warm, I'd say your best option is definitely a scuttle.
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, Bob!

I don't really worry about keeping the lather warm, myself, but those who do use a new type of scuttle with a reservoir of hot water to keep the brush and lather warm. Perhaps the most famous in these parts in the Moss Scuttle, invented by our own Dr Chris Moss (SMF Admin), though there are many others that have arisen subsequently, as well.

- Murray
rlb2444

Post by rlb2444 »

Thanks to all those that responded.

Learned something new today and it's only 5:00 AM. What a way to start the day!

Moss Scuttle....never heard of it but did a Google and found their website. I had tried to improvise by sitting my bowl in hot water in the sink. Problem is running water on razor during shave. The concept was right but the implementation stunk!

The Moss Scuttle will do exactly what I want.

Thank you very much!

Bob
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Bob, and thanks for joining us at SMF. It sounds like you're in for some toasty hot lather!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Welcome to SMF ..... a light rinse with hot water between passes, and a Moss -- that'll get you where you wanna go. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Another alternative: become a one pass shaver!! :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Bob, welcome aboard.
Regards,
Squire
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Hi Bob. Welcomes to SMF!
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
numerouno

Post by numerouno »

Welcome buddy. Why do u want to shave with a hot lather ? Hot lather breaks down fast and you wouldn't want that. would you ? We all love lather and want it to last long ;) it will break down, dry up very soon if its HOT ! But if u want it hot then you must have heat a scuttle with hot water and then lather in it. shave away !
brothers

Post by brothers »

Well, there are some soaps and creams that have certain recipes that cause them to be not so good with hot. There are some that thrive on it. Find which ones don't fade away with heat and stick to 'em. Don't use the ones that can't take hot water. Same thing for hard/soft water. It's all trial and error, and when you find the ones that treat you right, then you've got it! Enjoy your journey!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

try an alternative. try a COLD shave. it will be slightly ruffer on your skin but you will get a much more efficient cut and it will be a closer shave!
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer