Home Page | Gallery | PM Inbox | Forum Index  

chin - problem with grain direction

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!

chin - problem with grain direction

Postby plutek » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:58 pm

greetings! curious if any of you have some good wisdom about a little problem area i have: between the lower lip and the tip of the chin!

i'm shaving with a straight razor, and have everything tweaked out nicely (equipment, product, technique) for both comfort and acceptable closeness everywhere except that bothersome little area. it's generally only one or two pores/hairs which end up inflamed and sometimes ingrown. i believe there are two contributing factors...

1. i have a pretty pronounced inward inflection there, so it's super-easy to end up with the razor coming in at too steep an angle, causing the shave to be excessively close.

2. there are two directions of grain happening! the vast majority of my beard hairs are grey and go down, but there are also some black ones, most of which grow up.

for the most part, i believe i've solved number 1. i make sure to stretch the skin well by curling my lower lip as far as possible over my lower teeth - this flattens the problem area pretty well. then i just have to be careful about adjusting blade angle as i go, and keeping minimal pressure.

number 2 is, i believe, the real culprit and i don't know how to solve that one! :( i shave WTG (my skin is sensitive, and a well-sharpened and strorpped blade gives me a close enough shave without irritation that way). however, i believe what's happening is that those few black hairs which end up getting hit ATG are causing problems.

i suppose i should try sideways, or maybe even careful ATG, but i'm afraid of more general irritation that way.

anyone with the same issue?
any ideas about how to approach this?

it's frustrating that this area continues to plague me when i've made such a nice journey to bliss everywhere else on my face and neck!

thanks much in advance... cheers!
plutek

Re: chin - problem with grain direction

Postby CMur12 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:23 pm

Welcome to SMF, plutek!

I'm sorry I can't help you with your questions, as I don't shave that part of my face (I have a beard and only shave my neck) and I don't shave with a straight, but I'm pleased to have you join us.

- Murray
Give me Soap or give me death!
CMur12

Postby drmoss_ca » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:50 am

Welcome, Peter. Generally, when a straight razor causes irritation going against the grain, it is because it is not sharp enough. You can compensate a little for this by lying the blade almost flat against your skin so that as it goes against those hairs its edge will will not be drawn down into the top layers of skin. A better answer is to keep learning about honing. After all these years I still find myself getting better at honing, and there may be room for improvement in your edge.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Postby plutek » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:51 am

thanks a lot, murray and chris... looks like a great community here, with interesting, thoughtful discussions!

chris, i've read your advice about honing elsewhere on the forum; i'll be giving some more attention to that, and appreciate the experience and recommendations.

cheers!
plutek

Return to ShaveMyFace University