chin - problem with grain direction

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: chin - problem with grain direction

Post by drmoss_ca » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:56 am

Ingrowing hairs are generally caused by shaving too close to the skin, and having the tip of the hair retract just below skin level. If it doesn't exit the follicle correctly it can coil up inside the follicle. It might feel easier to shave with a DE as you don't have to press and the sharp blade will make it feel smoother, but it could lead to more ingrowing hairs in the long run. I'd stretch the skin as well as possible to flatten it, and go sideways across the chin with an almost flat-to-the-skin straight. Take several gentle passes rather than on big scrape. You have very little control over angle of attack with a DE, but you could try to simulate that by lifting the handle away from your face until you can barely hear it cut.
If you're in Canada, you can always send me the razor for honing.and we won't be paying any duty. I make no claims to honing greatness, but I can generally make a razor shave.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace

plutek

Re: chin - problem with grain direction

Post by plutek » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:59 am

thanks a lot, chris... see PM.

cheers!
.pltk.