What Did You Hone Today?

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
EL Alamein

Re: What Did You Hone Today?

Post by EL Alamein »

I am looking forward to this.

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Well, you have seen what happened in the SOTD threads. Coticule-only is very sharp, but leaves the face a bit raw. At least, that's true for my coticule and my technique. YMMV etc.

Lately, I have finished on the 2k-lapped Spyderco UF, rather than the 2k-lapped Black Arkansas. I'm still not certain about the order of these two hones. I seem to be pretty sure the UF alone is better than the Ark alone. But is that because it is finer, or is the Ark too fine to make a coticule edge that good?

Today's shave was my favourite W&B chopper finished on the 2k-UF. Now I have put it to the 2k black Ark as well, and tomorrow we will see. I guess all it will mean is that it works for this razor, but small steps are all we can take when going into new territory.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Having enjoyed a few weeks of wedges and quarter hollows, I've found myself looking forwards to the turn of the two Hart prototypes. Now they are not only quarter hollow O1 steel, but they were made by Tim himself, not one of Classic's 'artisans'. But I decided to go all the way and get out the other five Hart 6/8 razors and hone them all up to current standard (lapped Spyderco UF, lapped black Ark, Kanayama stropping). Along with my re-exploration of the very old Salter creams I've dug out of the Drawers of Shame, I'm looking forward to some very pleasant shaves!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Most excellent! I'll be looking forward to the results.

As an aside, I have lapped my UF and I'm ready to give it a whirl. I'll probably lap my Shaptons first as well.

If I find time to do all this I'll report back my impressions.

Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'll be interested to see what you make of it. I acquired a spare in case I drop it!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I've used four 'artisan'-made Harts so far, with one more to go, then back to the TZ-made prototypes for the weekend. Stunningly good shaves so far. No sensation as the beard is cut, no sting with the aftershave, and very little stubble 24 hours later!

I've also enjoyed the Salter creams, but the blue tubs are nearly empty. I do have a set of shrink-wrapped older white Salter tubs, but looking at them I see the scents did change when the blue tubs came in. No Wild Rose, but an almond instead. I think I'll take a wander through some of the others in the drawers rather than breaking the seals. I've got out some of the Nancy Boy cucumber, Trumper Sandalwood, Harris Lavender, Taylor Rose, coconut and the lemon & lime. Also discovered another tub of Tyrwhitt cream while rooting around. Yippee!
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Just to update I haven't had a chance to hone anything. Been busy lately. I'll get to it eventually.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

Now that I've been given a coticule of my own I'm sure I'll be wanting to use it as described, one of these winter days when I'm going to be stuck in the house for a while. A few weeks ago I picked up an old straight razor that's in need of a new edge and someone to shave with it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: soaps & creams, synthetic / boar / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

A quick update that I did try the following progression: Shapton 1K, 4K, 8K, UF. This was on one of my TI's. It's a bit of a challenge to hone this blade because it's slightly warped and I was just doing a quick honing. Wouldn't shave.

I'll try repeating with another blade and see what that does.

Chris