More strops

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

I'm moving this topic over to the Straight Razor section as that section didn't exist when the first posts were made.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

offshoot wrote:
drmoss_ca wrote:Illinois 827 then Heirloom latigo = morning bliss...This has been a revelation.
Ha-ha, wierd coincidence. Searched "latigo strop" and found this. I found out wonders of that particular strop combination last weekend. Funny.
Reproducible results are believable results in my worldview.

Chris
Wish the photos weren't lost in the great gallery crash.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

As with a lot of the other recent (3 years isn't old at all) but not curent threads, this is a treasure.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Re: More strops

Post by EL Alamein »

Ah the classics . . . And so we've come full circle. Used my long stored Russian Imperial #827 Illinois strop this morning on my Itsapeech honed TI (a well worn razor to the point of being reduced from 6/8 to a 5/8) and it was a smooth comfortable shave. One caveat is that after the Itsapeech I did 10 passes on the Crox'd leather strop I have and had a few shaves with it before doing this. After the 827 I took it to the Dovo Extra wide strop before shaving (recalling Dr. Moss's latigo adventures but not having one of those myself). Not the sharpest of blades but very smooth and comfortable.

I think the 827 really smooths out a blade, removing any harshness from micro-imperfections. I'll continue with this for some time to see how far it takes me.

For reference, my 827 is factory - untreated in any way with pumice or even strop conditioner (or Neatsfoot) of any kind. And I didn't use the Illinois linen (or any linen) this morning.

Always an adventure!

Chris