Strop/Hone Question

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
ebastow

Strop/Hone Question

Post by ebastow »

I recently picked up a hone on eBay. I haven't received it yet but the photo of the hone shows that it is imprinted with the words "Cushion Strop Back Hone, AM. Hone Co. Olean, N.Y.". The box is missing so I don't have any directions. Does anybody know if this stone uses water, oil or lather?
"You have rights antecedent to all earthly governments; rights that cannot be repealed or restrained by human laws; rights derived from the Great Legislator of the Universe." -John Adams, Second President of the United States
sebell

Post by sebell »

Do you happen to have a link to the auction?

If it is a ceramic hone you would use it dry,
with water, or with lather. Unless a hone has
already been used with oil, or instructs you to
do so, I would not use oil to hone razors.

- Scott
ebastow

Post by ebastow »

"You have rights antecedent to all earthly governments; rights that cannot be repealed or restrained by human laws; rights derived from the Great Legislator of the Universe." -John Adams, Second President of the United States
sebell

Post by sebell »

On the hone side I would try using it
with water only. The strop side looks
a little uneven, I would try and smooth
it out if possible before use.

- Scott
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I would use the hone side only. The leather side was/is usless IMHO as it is not long enough to take the place of a proper strop. Plus after all these years it's probably warped and dried. The hone should be serviceable though. As the other poster commented, it can be used dry, with water or with lather. I prefer lather myself. Hope that helps.

Chris
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Not that I would want to disagree with the others who have replied but I would take a stab at restoring the leather side as you don't have anything to lose. I'd probably coat it with some fairly thick shaving lather (Williams Mug Soap would be fine) and scrub it with a pumice stone after massaging it for a minute or so with the lather. Wipe it clean and see if it doesn't even out and become supple again.

Otherwise, I'd use the hone side with water, lather or dry as you see fit. Dry being the most aggressive, water and finally with lather for the final polish. Don't be afraid to lap the the hone side either.... if it's been used a fair amount it probably won't hone that well.... clean it first though, use some scouring powder (Comet) and a rag with some water to restore the cutting action. If that does not help, lap it on some 220 grit wet/dry paper on a piece of glass or a marble/granite tile etc. with plenty of water.

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
randydance062449

Post by randydance062449 »

That hone is ~6000 or finer grit and suitable for touch up work on a slightly dull str8. It is not suitable for restoring an old Ebay str8.
Randy Tuttle
randydance@comcast.net
A mentor for the Minnesota area