Getting a close shave (newbie post, straight razor)

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Grenage

Getting a close shave (newbie post, straight razor)

Post by Grenage »

Hello again!

I'm fairly new to 'real' wet shaving. After wanting a straight razor for a while, my other half bought me one for Christmas (#cheer#). Anyhow, after finding out that they don't come shave-ready, El Alamein very kindly offered to hone it for me, and I sent it off (thanks Chris!). While that was out, I picked up a cheap DE from boots and got used to using it. I found it to be fairly easy and I was getting some incredibly close shaves. The straight razor arrived back pretty quickly, so I have swapped over to it.

At first it felt like the blade was really struggling to cut the hair, and it sounded like I was sandpapering wood. Since then it has improved a lot, and it's cutting the stubble much more easily. The problem I am having is that even after four passes I just can't cut the stubble back close enough.

I 'know' the blade is as close to sharp as anyone save God could get it, mere contact with my finger draws blood, and it was honed by someone who knew what they were doing. Most of the problems I am having are around the upper lip and chin, where the stubble is thickest; could anyone offer some advice on how I might get a closer shave using a straight? I know that most people here use DEs, but there are plenty of straight users too ;)

Russell.
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Unfortunately, the simple answer is practice. The chin area always tugs for me, no matter how sharp my blade is... I can't help with the upper lip as the last time I shaved that area was around 1975 and I did that only once! Not a pretty sight.... :P

Straight shaving takes some time to sort out, learning to lead with the tip where possible, getting your stropping down pat so that you can actually keep that blade sharp between shaves.... Personally I find I can't get more than 3 or 4 three pass shaves before I need to visit a hone for a light polish to keep things comfortable but I have started experimenting with a pasted hanging strop and that seems to be working out well for me.

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
sebell

Post by sebell »

Keep practicing, close shaves will come in
time. The sharpness of the blade and the
quality of your stropping have a lot to do
with this, but then so does technique and
proper skin stretching.

Keep it up!

- Scott
Grenage

Post by Grenage »

Thanks for the replies, guys. I thought that might be the case, but it never hurts to ask. I shall keep practicing and get there in the end. I'm happy that the stropping is being done properly.. perhaps not so about the skin stretching ;)

Thanks again.

Russell.
EverSharp

Post by EverSharp »

I find a number of things in getting a close shave around the difficult areas that you mention. First, beard preparation( a hot towel followed by pre-shave), second( a rich lather), third( 20/30 passes on the strop while the lather is soaking your beard, fourth( multiple passes in various directions) and finally as already mentioned practice. Try to stay with the straight as often as possible to build your learning curve and confidence.
Good luck!
Grenage

Post by Grenage »

Just thought I would say thanks again for the tips. It turned out it was a lack of skin-stretching, as suggested. No stubble here any more! ;)

Russell.