Straight Razors

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
drumana

Straight Razors

Post by drumana »

Is there a straight razor that is the "Merkur HD" of straights, meaning a razor that pretty much everyone agrees is a good candidate to start on?
-Andrew-
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

That would be a Dovo 5/8" Tortoise, or basically any 5/8" Dovo.
Richard
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

rustyblade wrote:That would be a Dovo 5/8" Tortoise, or basically any 5/8" Dovo.
I'll +1 ol' Ninja Duck's recommendation. :lol: Get it honed first though.

Chris
drumana

Post by drumana »

Thanks, guys. I'll keep my eye out for one of those . . . I might give the straight razor a shot. . . as has been said many times before - resistance is futile.

Richard - I've been enjoying your dynamic duck the past few days. It seems a dark spirit has taken over, flipped him around, grew him some horns, and gave him some black ninja garb. . . :D
-Andrew-
Shave4Fun

Dovo 5/8"

Post by Shave4Fun »

What is a fair price for a new Dovo 5/8" with basic handles? What about used?
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
sebell

Post by sebell »

I would say that if there was an HD equivalent
in the straight razor world it would be a 5/8"
Dovo. However, I don't think that there is any
reason not to choose whatever else you feel
like to learn on.

The characteristics of this razor that make it ideal
for new shavers is basically a medium width (5-6/8"),
full-hollow, and a round-point toe.

- Scott
Shave4Fun

Colonel Conk straight

Post by Shave4Fun »

Any opinions on this for a starter?

http://premiumknives.com/ShopSite/Colon ... r_504.html
Roger

sebell

Post by sebell »

That looks like a re-branded Dovo Best Quality
carbon steel razor to me. It should do just fine
as a starter razor, though you will have to send
it out to be honed once you receive it. I like the
translucent scales!

You could alternatively order one from Classic
Shaving (classicshaving.com) or Vintage Blades
(vintagebladesllc.com) and add $20 for honing.
Jim at Vintage Blades usually stocks pre-honed
razors as far as I know, so that would be the
quickest way to get a shave ready Dovo razor.

- Scott
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

For the beginning straight shaver, the best advice is to pick up a used shave ready razor. These can be had from the b/s/t forum at SRP on a regular basis. Some of the guys there deliberately pick up razors off ebay for cheap, restore them and offer them for sale to newcomers so they get a great start in the wonderful world of straight shaving. The razor you buy there for the princely sum of $30 to $40 or thereabouts won't be all that pretty, may show some wear but it'll be ready to use and it will serve as an inexpensive razor to later hone your honing skills on without having to worry about ruining it. I did not purchase a shave ready razor but I did get an inexpensive but good quality basic razor at a flea market and it has suffered through my learning period without giving me any grief. When I get a new hone or decide to try something else to see if it works better, I always reach for my "Ugly Duckling" as I know that razor well and it always gives me a decent shave if I get it right. I paid $10 for that razor and strangely enough, it's the one I reach for most often, just because I always know what condition that tarnished old blade is in. :lol:

New razors are nice but you need to get them honed before first use so that adds at least $20 to the price + possibly shipping one or two ways. A used starter blade from SRP is a royal bargain in comparison. Remember, you might not even like shaving with a straight... I can guarantee you won't like it if you try with a brand new razor, straight from the factory without a proper honing first. Yes, there have been one or two that actually were sharp enough to shave with but that is rare and should not be counted on. Classicshaving.com, Shavingshop.com, Thewellshavedgentleman.com and Vintage Blades LLC all offer honing of new or vintage blades that they sell, and their service is excellent. Me? I got a hot date with my "Ugly Duckling"!:mrgreen:

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'll speak up for one of my all-time favourite razors - the TI Super Gnome 5/8. Easy to hone and a great shaver. It might be a half-hollow, but that's a good thing in my book.
As always, a straight shaver's first razor should be an old one honed by an expert.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

kaptain_zero wrote:For the beginning straight shaver, the best advice is to pick up a used shave ready razor. These can be had from the b/s/t forum at SRP on a regular basis. Some of the guys there deliberately pick up razors off ebay for cheap, restore them and offer them for sale to newcomers so they get a great start in the wonderful world of straight shaving. The razor you buy there for the princely sum of $30 to $40 or thereabouts won't be all that pretty, may show some wear but it'll be ready to use and it will serve as an inexpensive razor to later hone your honing skills on without having to worry about ruining it. I did not purchase a shave ready razor but I did get an inexpensive but good quality basic razor at a flea market and it has suffered through my learning period without giving me any grief. When I get a new hone or decide to try something else to see if it works better, I always reach for my "Ugly Duckling" as I know that razor well and it always gives me a decent shave if I get it right. I paid $10 for that razor and strangely enough, it's the one I reach for most often, just because I always know what condition that tarnished old blade is in. :lol:

New razors are nice but you need to get them honed before first use so that adds at least $20 to the price + possibly shipping one or two ways. A used starter blade from SRP is a royal bargain in comparison. Remember, you might not even like shaving with a straight... I can guarantee you won't like it if you try with a brand new razor, straight from the factory without a proper honing first. Yes, there have been one or two that actually were sharp enough to shave with but that is rare and should not be counted on. Classicshaving.com, Shavingshop.com, Thewellshavedgentleman.com and Vintage Blades LLC all offer honing of new or vintage blades that they sell, and their service is excellent. Me? I got a hot date with my "Ugly Duckling"!:mrgreen:

Regards

Christian
I'm showing my newbiness here, but what site is "SRP"?
Roger

sebell

Post by sebell »

Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

sebell wrote:www.straightrazorplace.com

- Scott
Many thanks!
Roger

drumana

Post by drumana »

Thank you for all the input, gents.
-Andrew-
Amyn

Post by Amyn »

drmoss_ca wrote:I'll speak up for one of my all-time favourite razors - the TI Super Gnome 5/8. Easy to hone and a great shaver. It might be a half-hollow, but that's a good thing in my book.
As always, a straight shaver's first razor should be an old one honed by an expert.

Chris
+1

The Dovo 5/8 may be the Merkur HD but TI Gnome 5/8 or 6/8 is a much better blade IMO. It shaves way better