Very Large Straights

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
barbiere

Very Large Straights

Post by barbiere »

Does a 7/8 or 8/8 straight have an advantage over a 5/8 or 6/8 as far as close shaving goes? Is it just the satisfaction of being able to wield a large blade?

Jerry
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Some men feel that they cut through tougher beards easier because of the weight but I find a well honed 5/8" to be satisfactory (you can also find a razor with a heavier grind). Large blades can be more unwieldy, but not impossible to shave with. After trying many sizes and thinking bigger is better, I have found 5/8" to be perfect. Probably why they are so popular. YMMV and all that.
Richard
mparker762

Post by mparker762 »

Yeah, what he said. They are cool looking, and they'll come in handy during zombie outbreaks. Don't drop them or you'll cut your foot or something else off. Most high-end customs are 7/8+ because if you're spending big bucks then you tend to want to get as much metal for your money as possible. And on a damascus razor the extra surface area means more room for the pretty patterns.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Big heavy razors are a little safer in that it is harder to make careless movements: too much inertia.
Plus, they scare the sh*t out of the natives, and that's never a bad thing.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
bbqncigars

Post by bbqncigars »

Like Chris said about the natives. "Excuse me while I whip this out."

Wayne
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Well, until this morning I would have agreed that the smaller razors shave just as well but while I seem to get all my razors pretty much to the same level of sharpness I find that the extra momentum in my 13/16" Clauss helps it glide through my beard when going against the grain. Lighter blades get caught up in the same areas and screech to a halt, requiring me to literally take a run at it in order to plow through.... Granted, my Clauss is fresh off my new hones and they seem to work very well for me so perhaps it is partly the sharpness, however my 4/8" Griffon does bog down in the rough even though it is one of the sharpest blades I have in my kit. All that said, I can shave well with any size that I have. I have the luxury of not having to shave under the nose (no... no because I don't have a nose) as I wear a mustache so that would need to be taken into account. I can't imagine shaving with an 8/8" under the nose...... :shock:

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
sebell

Post by sebell »

I had a 9/16" Dubl Duck Special No. 1 that was a
fine shaver, but I would prefer it in a 5/8" or 6/8"
width. To me there is nothing to be gained in
maneuverability by going below 5/8".

- Scott
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

It is easier to learn honing on a wide razor - there is much less tendency to lift either the spine or edge off the hone. A really big wedge that weighs half a pound just sits on the hone and you just have to push it along. Very easy!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Dave_D

Re: Very Large Straights

Post by Dave_D »

barbiere wrote:Does a 7/8 or 8/8 straight have an advantage over a 5/8 or 6/8 as far as close shaving goes? Is it just the satisfaction of being able to wield a large blade?

Jerry
In my experience the bigger blades (up to a point) do offer an advantage. I use a 7/8 nos Friodur as a guage, and that thing is nearly effortless in a shave. A 3 day stubble squeegee machine. I suppose if my honing was at a more stellar level, my 6/8 Thiers' might do the same thing (and they are close) but something about the weight and design of that Frio just clicks.

Dave
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Chris is right about the honing.... those wide blades do hunker down on the hones real nice and with the added weight comes increased honing pressure which makes the whole ordeal move along just a bit quicker.

Chris mentioned in another thread about the amount of lather you could gather on the blade before having to clear it. This was an advantage in ye olden days without running water.

Another advantage of the larger blades such as the old Sheffield blades was that you could get far more shaves out of them simply because when they got worn down from use, they could be sent back to be reground and thus be restored to a like new condition, only somewhat smaller.

Still.... today I think it matters mostly what you are comfortable with.

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
Occam

Post by Occam »

The question really comes down to basic physics. Chris alluded to it in his point about inertia... but when two things interact the key features are the mass and the velocity which determine the energy of cutting.

The hapless hairs have next to no mass even when considered in their hundreds and thousands and because they are at rest do not present much difficulty to the cutting blade.

It's obvious that a blade that weighs twice as much is going to have twice the energy. More importantly if that blade is moved faster then the square relationship of velocity to kinetic energy means that moving the blade twice as quick increases the energy by four times.

But keeping everything else constant (sharpness, speed of blade, angle etc) a heavier blade is just plainly going to have more kinetic energy due to its increased mass and therefore going to be a more effortless cutter.
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
dada

Post by dada »

And in true friendly straight shaver style - now an opposing opinion because what's a straight thread without this :lol:

Hairs are in fact not hapless but quite tough, as tough as copper wire with the same diameter. If they weren't, we would be able to use DE blades for years (hm, I actually did this :lol: ) Anyway, cutting hair is pretty rough on the straight edge. Hence the need to hone and strop, and good prep, not to mention cutting motion technique.

People also say wider bevel on the larger blades (especially wedges) actually creates a stronger suction effect (bevel to hone, or to face) and may feel like they do indeed need the momentum from the higher weight to plow through. There's also the term "wedge burn" which some claim to come from this enhanced face suction. I think in order to avoid this, some large blade users endorse extreme angles, pretty far from the generally recommended 30 degrees

Now this is all anecdotal, but the physics is far from basic. There are still many things that we don't understand too, meaning that the basic concept is known and understood but the actual thing evades us. I'll let Gugi talk more about it :lol:

Anyway, I have both large and small, heavy and light. All can shave very well, my personal preference is for 6/8 - 13/16 hollows but I can shave my 'stache with an 8/8 without much trouble. I do find the smaller (under 5/8 ) razors harder to hone and strop because they feel too narrow to me, and they also seem lost in several days' worth of stubble and copious lather...

Cheers
Ivo
Occam

Post by Occam »

dada wrote: Now this is all anecdotal, but the physics is far from basic. There are still many things that we don't understand too...
Hi Ivo, I don't think anyone would argue that there aren't many many other variables. That's why I said keeping everything else constant... the heavier blade just has more kinetic energy.

Kinetic Energy = 1/2 * mass * velocity^2

More mass = more energy.

Very basic :)
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
dada

Post by dada »

Hi Ben,

yes, the equation is very basic, I just meant to say that I think in shaving the question just doesn't come down to basic physics.

Anyway, my post was meant to add some new input to the discussion in good spirit :)

Cheers
Ivo
Occam

Post by Occam »

dada wrote:Hi Ben,

yes, the equation is very basic, I just meant to say that I think in shaving the question just doesn't come down to basic physics.

Anyway, my post was meant to add some new input to the discussion in good spirit :)

Cheers
Ivo

:D

My 400th post...
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
Churchill

Post by Churchill »

While the 8/8 may shave more effortlessly I learned they are certainly not for newbies.
Just starting out I bought a 8/8 Filarmonica and being a heavy handed newbie I promptly rolled back a thing inch of skin. :shock:
I have been straight shaving for several months now,maybe it's time to give it another go. :P
I also have a 4/8 Hoffritz which is pretty fun to use because you need to up your awareness while using it.
Bob
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

In addition to size, there are also grinds to consider. Heavier grinds tend to move easier through your beard without getting hung up, I would assume because the edge is stiffer and doesn't bend as easily. Wider blades are also easier to keep at the correct angle visibly -- physics aside.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

I'm a big guy, and a 5/8 blade just feels a bit flimsy to me. I prefer a 6/8.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I have yet to experience a larger razor that can shave better than a well honed 5/8". I can also get a great shave from a 4/8" Friodur even though it feels very light. I think size is just a preference, not really performance related at all ("powers through my tough beard, etc."). I enjoy a big shiny metal blade as much as the next guy, but I think it really comes down to making up for small penis size at the end of the day. :lol:
Richard
sebell

Post by sebell »

but I think it really comes down to making up for small penis size at the end of the day.
:shock:

... and the [hockey] gloves are dropped.

- Scott