Straight razor ID help

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
paperpundit

Straight razor ID help

Post by paperpundit »

Gentleman,

I just inherited my grandfather's straight razor. Considering when he came to the US he couldn't even shave, I'd figure its 80 years old. It says J. Perrone & Son, Boston, Mass, MI Germany. Anyone familiar with these? I'd post a photo, but truly, the razor is mostly rust...looks like a short 5/8 blade, and I'm not sure its salvageable.
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The razor was made in Germany, probably Solingen, and then stamped with the name of the seller (probably a barber or barber supply business) in Boston.
If it is mostly rust it is unlikely to be salvageable, the key point being whether the edge of the blade is rusted, pitted or chipped. If not, it can be made to shave, although it might not look pretty.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

The rust on it is pretty bad, especially on the blade. But then again, I never planned on using it to shave...I just thought it was pretty cool to have my grandfather's straight. It is the only razor he ever shaved with, plus or minus some attempts to convert to a DE, and his later years when I'd shave him with a single-edge Bic.
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."