Pinky or ring finger on tang

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
jojo

Pinky or ring finger on tang

Post by jojo »

When holding a straight, do folks rest their ring finger on the tang, or pinky. I've seen it both ways in photos, and wanted to get a sense of whether there's a preferred technique.
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

Actually I do both. No real reason why, though. It is just how I've been doing it since the beginning.
~Greg
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I may be the odd one out here but I rest my ring finger on the tang and my pinkie underneath. Just feels comfortable and gives me the sense of more control (don't know if it actually does though).
Richard
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

For me it depends a bit on the razor but I'm fond of pinching the blade itself with my thumb and forefinger (kinda how a chef holds a chefs knife), allowing the rest of the fingers to find a spot where they are comfy. I have however worked at using the gimps when possible and seem to have just as good a control but this leaves my pinky hanging....

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
sebell

Post by sebell »

Pinky for me!

- Scott
EverSharp

Post by EverSharp »

Ring finger with pinky underneath.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I think it might depend to some extent on the size of your hands. I have small-to-medium hands, and my little finger is on the top of the tang. But if your hands are very large, you might find the ring finger more comfortable.

I don't think there's a "wrong" way, but I'm ready to be corrected.
SirCur

Post by SirCur »

Although I am clearly NOT an expert on straights - I use my ring finger on the tang not my pinkie. If you review the pictures in the Moss "handbook", I believe he shows using the pinkie on the tang - this is just not natural for me.

Not sure one or the other is "correct" - perhaps more experienced opinions are needed on this subject.

Best ... Steve
To want what I have
To take what I'm given with grace
For this I pray
dada

Post by dada »

I remember doing both. Usually it's whatever feels comfortable and solid, most often ring finger. Can't remember the barber textbooks, but I say it does depend on razor geometry and your hands, obviously. And I'd rather feel comfortable and confident than do it by the book :lol:

Cheers
Ivo
Churchill

Post by Churchill »

Ring finger on the tang,pinky hanging...that sounds nasty. :o
Bob
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

When going against the grain I hold the shank between my thumb and forefinger. As others have mentioned, whatever is most comfortable, gives you a good shave and no blood.
Richard
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Churchill wrote:Ring finger on the tang,pinky hanging...that sounds nasty. :o
Well... I suppose you could always hold it up in the air such as when drinking tea. :P

Kaptain "You put your pinky out, you put your pinky in..." Zero
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
samovar

Post by samovar »

I'm new to straight shaving and I've been using my ring finger so far and tried the pinkie.

Whatever gets me shaved without a nick is the way to go :)
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

Probably one of those ymmv things, but this is what has worked for me.

Dave
Occam

Post by Occam »

Pinky. I have medium to large hands and I find the ring finger resting on the handle/pin area is a nice stabilising point.
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Occam wrote:Pinky. I have medium to large hands and I find the ring finger resting on the handle/pin area is a nice stabilising point.
That's something I never thought of, I have small hands so more of my fingers fit on the razor than in the picture above.
Richard
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

rustyblade wrote:I may be the odd one out here but I rest my ring finger on the tang and my pinkie underneath. Just feels comfortable and gives me the sense of more control (don't know if it actually does though).
I think that is the key! Do what feels comfortable. You know, the old saying, "if it feels good, do it!" For me it depends on the size of the razor.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books