Luxury-Hanging Strop from Japan

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Occam

Post by Occam »

What do people think of this strop?

Here is the description...

This approx. 600 mm long, 67 mm wide and 3 mm thick hanging strop is made from Cordovan-Leather by Kanayama in Tokyo.
Cordovan is regarded as one of the most luxurious and durable leathers available. It is made from one piece of leather and you can make ony a few strops from one horse.
Usually this leather is used for high end shoes but has been used in the past by companies like Gillette for razor strops.

Behind the leather strop is a linnen one. You can use this second strop with a paste or for pre stropping.
This strop has a karabiner snap link.

It has some sticker shock - 82.35 EURO

Comments?
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
mparker762

Post by mparker762 »

Cordovan ain't cheap. And you get only one strop per shell.
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Nice looking strop but for that kind of money, I'd look elsewhere. I didn't know there were all that many horses in Japan.

I think the new Old Dog 830 strop from Hand American would be a nicer choice at almost half the price or for that matter any of Tony Millers strops.

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
Occam

Post by Occam »

OK after much thought I just ordered the following things...

DMTD8C DMT DiaSharp Coarse 8" x 3" x 3/8" Diamond Whetstone $41.95
DMTD8E DMT DiaSharp Extra Fine 8" x 3" x 3/8" Diamond Whetstone $41.95
SP306UF Spyderco Ultra Fine Ceramic Bench Stone 8" x 3" $82.95
ACD1091 Steel X Bench Stone and Water Stones Holder from 5-1/2" - 9" Long $19.95
IRS827 Illinois Razor Strop 2.5" x 23" Imperial Russian Leather with Handle $29.95

The DMT coarse stone should serve two purposes - bringing blunt razors up to the next hone and lapping other whetstones I'll acquire as time goes on.

The DMT Extra fine should do knives admirably and should be able to set bevels on blunter razors.

The Spyderco Ultrafine largely based on my good experience with Spydercos other products and Chris' recommendation above. If it's going to be one stone then it may as well be this one. I made sure to get the new 3" stone for ease of honing razors.

The holder because I think that it's essential to have a nice support for the stones.

The Illinois 827 with some reservation as I really wanted a wider 3" strop but the price was just too good to refuse on this one. Same price as a cheap travel or training strop...

For the future I see myself perhaps getting a blue and/or yellow Belgian stone; and a wider 3" cordovan leather strop; so that the 827 becomes an intermediate strop. Also pasted paddles etc. I think my beard is so tough I'll be visiting the Spyderco for a touch up every 10-20 shaves.

Would people agree that the set above is a good starter one?
Last edited by Occam on Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
tatsuo

Post by tatsuo »

Well, I can't say anything about the strop, since I've never used an Illinois before, but I must admit that I am somewhat puzzled by your choice of hones. The DMT will work great as a lapping plate, but unless you plan to restore razors with some serious chips in the blade, I think you will find it far too rough to be of much use. The Spyderco Ultrafine, one the other hand, is generally considered a decent (especially for the price) finishing hone. According to its manufacturer, however, it is also supposed to come pre-lapped. So, you've got a lapping plate on the one hand, and a finishing hone that does not need lapping on the other.

What you don't have, however, is a decent stone to set your bevel on, hone out dings, etc., etc. There are several choices out there, the most popular being the Norton 4000/8000 (others good options are the Belgian blue stones, Shaptons, Spyderco Fine, etc.)

Now, before you jump off a bridge somewhere (or, more practically speaking, before you cancel your order), remember that pretty much all of these mid-range hones will need to be lapped, so the DMT will actually come in quite handy in the long run (though there are also cheaper solutions, such as sandpaper). In addition, the Spyderco should work fine once you get used to it.

If you are really serious about honing, what I would recommend is that you take a look at the Norton 4000/8000 (or a comparable hone). In addition, I would also suggest you consider paddle strops, particularly the ones made by Tony Miller. Not only are these strops a breeze to use, they also have the advantage of being available in a variety of different coatings and grit sizes. For example, I started with a four-sided paddle strop loaded with .5, 1, and 3 micron diamond, and .5 micron Chromium Oxide pastes. That means that in that one strop, you basically have the equivalent of a Norton 8000, a Spyderco Ultrafine, and two different finishing options, all for about $50 or so.

Again, I don't think you did badly at all, but I do think you might need to fill in some gaps here and there.

best,

tatsuo
Tatsuo 
龍雄
tatsuo

Post by tatsuo »

sorry for the double post
Tatsuo 
龍雄
Occam

Post by Occam »

tatsuo wrote:Well, I can't say anything about the strop, since I've never used an Illinois before, but I must admit that I am somewhat puzzled by your choice of hones. The DMT will work great as a lapping plate, but unless you plan to restore razors with some serious chips in the blade, I think you will find it far too rough to be of much use. The Spyderco Ultrafine, one the other hand, is generally considered a decent (especially for the price) finishing hone. According to its manufacturer, however, it is also supposed to come pre-lapped. So, you've got a lapping plate on the one hand, and a finishing hone that does not need lapping on the other.

What you don't have, however, is a decent stone to set your bevel on, hone out dings, etc., etc. There are several choices out there, the most popular being the Norton 4000/8000 (others good options are the Belgian blue stones, Shaptons, Spyderco Fine, etc.)

Now, before you jump off a bridge somewhere (or, more practically speaking, before you cancel your order), remember that pretty much all of these mid-range hones will need to be lapped, so the DMT will actually come in quite handy in the long run (though there are also cheaper solutions, such as sandpaper). In addition, the Spyderco should work fine once you get used to it.

If you are really serious about honing, what I would recommend is that you take a look at the Norton 4000/8000 (or a comparable hone). In addition, I would also suggest you consider paddle strops, particularly the ones made by Tony Miller. Not only are these strops a breeze to use, they also have the advantage of being available in a variety of different coatings and grit sizes. For example, I started with a four-sided paddle strop loaded with .5, 1, and 3 micron diamond, and .5 micron Chromium Oxide pastes. That means that in that one strop, you basically have the equivalent of a Norton 8000, a Spyderco Ultrafine, and two different finishing options, all for about $50 or so.

Again, I don't think you did badly at all, but I do think you might need to fill in some gaps here and there.

best,

tatsuo
Thanks tatsuo for the comments. I forgot to include the other stone the DMT Extra fine (1200 grit) that I ordered but yes I understand what you are saying.
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.