First one under my belt (not literally) and thanks

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
jojo

First one under my belt (not literally) and thanks

Post by jojo »

OK, I did it. A three pass straight shave (if you count going the same direction different passes), no touching up with a DE, no nicks, cuts, blood loss, and not much irritation. Not a bad shave -- and in certain spots, quite good. Under the chin area, though, I look a bit like the guys you work with to whom you need to resist the urge to say, "Man, learn to shave."

My biggest hurdles will be getting close right under my chin and, more generally, getting used to using my left hand -- I found the shaving with my right hand to be fairly intuitive and comfortable. With the left, once I got past the cheek it felt like, well, I was using my left hand; the left neck area, under around and under the jaw, was something of a mystery as to how to get it done. I get the sense that there is a fine line between a light, but confident touch (which I had going pretty well with my right hand) and a light but pathetically weak touch, which I had going with my left, which resulted in the stubble feeling more like a barrier to the movement of the blade than anything being mowed down, difficulty starting the stroke, and the blade skipping, etc. Practice, practice, practice.

Thanks to all for advice -- even if not directly given, received simply by reading all the helpful posts. And particularly thank you to Dr. Moss, for his wonderul guide and contributions.

Mark
mparker762

Post by mparker762 »

Keep at it with the left hand. Soon the left hand will get up to speed, and meanwhile the right hand will get overconfident and you'll find that it'll cause most of your nicks until you work through it. Once I got over my handedness when shaving I find that my left hand does a better job, and my right hand is more likely to give me razor burn.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm assuming you did all three passes downwards? OK for a start. Next time, when you come to the under the chin area, try to go sideways with the razor slanted as in picture #6 of the second pass in the guide. It is easy to do and might be close enough that you can dispense with an against the grain third pass.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Occam

Post by Occam »

In terms of handedness is it OK to use the right hand for the entire shave?

When shaving most parts it seems having the fingers towards the face (as opposed to the thumb facing) is a comfortable stroke. Is there anything inherently wrong with a thumb toward the face stroke?

As in the right hand shaving the left cheek with right thumb towards the left cheek?
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
sebell

Post by sebell »

I would recommend using both hands when
shaving, especially now that you are developing
your technique. However, if you really feel that
using your right hand only is significantly more
comfortable after a while, by all means do what
works for you.

- Scott
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I've been using only my left hand (my dominant hand) shaving for a year now. No problems whatsoever shaving all parts of my face and neck.
Richard
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Like Richard I shaved with my right hand only for a couple of months but I worked at using my left hand and was surprised at how quickly I became confident in it's use.. It sure makes things easier. I'm still working at it though... there are a couple of spots where I could really use the full dexterity of my right hand in my left but for now I have to make do with my right hand.

So, give yourself some time... it'll become second nature eventually. Just don't push yourself too far!

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I'm going to try using my right hand now; I expect blood.
Richard
sebell

Post by sebell »

Perhaps it's different because I have been doing so
since I started straight razor shaving, but I find that
my right and left hands are absolutely equal in their
shaving ability.

Good luck Richard!

- Scott
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

rustyblade wrote:I'm going to try using my right hand now; I expect blood.
Hope you mentioned me in your will, in a nice way! :twisted:

Good luck, and just do the easy stuff to start, as you build your feel you can try the trickier stuff.

Christian
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

kaptain_zero wrote:
rustyblade wrote:I'm going to try using my right hand now; I expect blood.
Hope you mentioned me in your will, in a nice way! :twisted:

Good luck, and just do the easy stuff to start, as you build your feel you can try the trickier stuff.

Christian
Used my right hand a little this evening. I completely forgot on the first pass out of sheer routine. It went pretty well, no nicks or anything just really slow progress. It felt like someone else was shaving my face.
Richard
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Congrats! Hey, it'll get easier quite quickly if you stick with it... It's just durn weird doing something delicate with the off hand. While I am right handed, my strongest hand is my left, so it gets to do all the crude stuff like twisting off jar lids and the like, which makes it so weird doing something delicate.

Christian