My Latest Acquisitions

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Esoteric83

My Latest Acquisitions

Post by Esoteric83 »

I've used a Feather AC and a 4/8 Henckels that I acquired second-hand in the past but got frustrated and sold the Feather off.

Same goes with my first go around with a Merkur Classic. I also quit that after a couple rounds with marginal success - I know, heartless :cry:

Anyway, a few years back I got back on board and bought a Progress and then a Futur and have never looked back.

Long story short - I'm taking another shot at the straight. This time, I decided to drop a decent chunk of disposable income as further incentive to see this through 8) Pre-honed off course

Here is the setup:

http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/x ... 132&page=1

http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/x ... 102&page=1

Many thanks to Jim at Vintage Blades - Excellent communication and very quick shipping with UPS notification. Package gets here next Tuesday. Wish me luck.

I'm sure with some guidance here, Dr. Moss' guide and some perseverance on my end, I'll nail this art once and for all :D
Occam

Post by Occam »

Very nice!

I'm in a similar boat. I have 2 vintage NOS razors and 1 beater for honing practice.

I decided that even with those 3 I still won't know what everyone means by shave ready unless I get one of these sharpened up by a master...

Instead of that I decided I'd get a honed Thiers Issard Super Gnome 5/8 as recommended by Chris. This razor is special in that it is half hollow and sounds just the thing for heavy beards like mine. Apparently a doddle to sharpen and the best thing is it's relatively cheap...

So the TI Gnome will be the benchmark razor, and a new one at that to ease me back into straight shaving; but this time I'll be doing my whole face with it... I hope...
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

The starter 4/8 and the Feather were very light and I'm looking for a slightly heftier blade.
alabamalawyer

Post by alabamalawyer »

Nice looking razor. I just restarted into str8 shaving. Things are going better the 2nd time around. Hopefully you will have better luck this time. If you don't have it, I suggest picking up Lyn Abrams DVD. I go back and watch it often, especially the stropping and honing portions.
Chris