Help!!

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
shaveshell

Help!!

Post by shaveshell »

So, I've decided to get a dovo that is shave ready from Vintage Blades LLC. The problem is other than the actaul razor, I'm still really confused. My primary shaving will still be done with a DE, but I want to use the straight on weekends or days when I have more time, but I don't see doing it more than a few times a month. So, the quesiton is, can somebody tell me exactly what I need to have a good experience? Strops, stones, pasted strops, linen, different color leather. HELP! I like the idea of a paddle (it definitley doesn't have to be), but the ones I saw seem like they're only for sharpening and not for everyday use. Is there a basic one size fits all solution for a beginner strop? Do I need one wth the different colors, do I need a pasted strop? One that's an everyday and sharpens, maybe, or maybe I don't even need a sharpener at this time. I just don't know.
Amyn

Post by Amyn »

In order to have a good experience I would suggest the following
1. Read The Art of The Straight Razor Shave, A Basic Guide by Dr. Moss. It will have the answer to all your questions to start off. The guide is available for FREEE on the Home Page of this site.

2. You initially only need to invest in a 2 or 4 sided paddle strop. Make you have 1/2 of 3/4 sides pasted. This should be enough to keep you going for a while.

3. A couple of months down the road you might need a hone to resharpen the edge on your str8, but this will not be a problem if you keep stropping your razor on the pasted strops.

4. Do visit SRP straight razor place .com
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I would get a wide, two-sided paddle strop from The Well Shaved Gentleman That's all I use for stropping, and I have .5 paste on the other side for tuning up an edge. If you're only shaving occasionally, this setup should keep you going for at least 6 months (maybe longer) before you will have to worry about honing. Tony Miller at the site above is a great help. I pack my paddle strop for travel as well. I wouldn't mind getting a traditional strop some day, but the paddle works very well for daily shaving.
shaveshell

Post by shaveshell »

Thank you! Can you put paste on any paddle strop, or does it have to be on a side specifically for paste?

How about this one? It says it's a sharpening strop, but can it be used both as an everyday wtihout paste and to sharpen with?

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/i ... 011478.htm

Sorry for all the questions!

-Matt
Amyn

Post by Amyn »

You can request any side or both side to be pasted.
I would Paste one side to sharpen the razor leave one side unpasted for getting the edge keen.

Tony miller makes some of the best strops out there
www.thewellshavedgentleman.com
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

I've listed a few of the beginner options HERE

Tag about $40 or $50 onto the prices if you're getting a new prehoned Dovo Classic, more if your going upscale