Another noobie here

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
harleystyles

Another noobie here

Post by harleystyles »

Well guys,

I was thinking aloud the other day and decided I had to do something to make this whole shaving thing more fun.

In my researching of this goal I found you guys. I had not thought about trying to shave with a straight razor. I was actually thinking about the double edge safety razors. But alas I could not find one locally.

I begain lurking here a few days ago and watched the straight shaving demo video in the shaving university forum and decided, what the heck.

You probably are going to laugh at what I picked up to try it out but I'm one to get an idea, try it out, and decide it wasn't all I thought it was going to be.

I went the extremely cheap route just to see if I would like it. I went to Wally World and picked up a $1 cake of shaving soap, a $4 boar hair brush, and then went to Sally Beauty Supply (where my fiance drags me from time to time) and got a $5 "straight razor" with replaceable blades like the Feather has.

Today marked my second shave with this setup. I was able to work up a lather in about half the time today than it took me the first time. And the shave went a lot quicker today too. I've not cut myself yet and have managed to get a decent shave thus far. The only gripe so far is having more bumps on my neck, but I assume this will get better with practice.
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

If the worst you get from the replaceable blade straight is a few bumps on the neck, you are doing better than I. Some guys have good success with them. I found that a traditional straight (once I got a good edge on it) was everything the straight razor guys said it would be, great shaving experience, less irritation, etc. It does take some practice and patience, but the reward is a great way to slow down, learn a nearly lost art and enjoy something that could otherwise be a rushed task.

Welcome to the forum.

Dave
dada

Post by dada »

You are on to a great start with the no cuts part!

However, a straight is not like what you have now. And should eventually lead to less bumps, not more :lol:

Try to see if you live close to a member, who can probably loan you a real razor to try (and maybe give you some tips, etc.) - that's the best advice I can give you. You could strop on an old belt or even jeans (not to exclude your own skin :shock: ) if you are trying to minimize cost.

If you can't find anyone - PM me, I may be able to send you a loaner to try

Cheers
Ivo