My new Carl Rader 4/8

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
adam51980

My new Carl Rader 4/8

Post by adam51980 »

I just picked up a new 4/8 Carl Rader. I honed and stropped it tonight and it passes the HHT without much trouble. I have not gotten to shave with it yet but I think I am really going to like it. Testing the razor out, it has a very, very thin blade and therefore has a tinny sound to it when cutting through hair. The acoustics are pretty cool on this one. Anyhow I will report back once I shave with it.

dada

Post by dada »

These look like the real vintage wood scales - love them! Also like the anchor :)

Tell us how it shaves

Cheers
Ivo
Padron

Post by Padron »

Wow,

Looks great, congrats! :D
SirCur

Post by SirCur »

Adam, looks great! I'm curious whether the smaller size makes it easier to use - perhaps a bit more maneuverable in some places - is this true?

Best ... Steve
To want what I have
To take what I'm given with grace
For this I pray
adam51980

Post by adam51980 »

SirCur wrote:Adam, looks great! I'm curious whether the smaller size makes it easier to use - perhaps a bit more maneuverable in some places - is this true?

Best ... Steve
I use a Tosuke and a Feather Straight razor which both have pretty small heads. I like them and think that they are very easy to maneuver. I tried a 6/8 wade butcher and it scared me a bit when it came to shaving certain spots. However YMMV.
adam51980

Post by adam51980 »

I had my first shave with the Carl Rader. The shave that I ended up with was relatively smooth but the razor needs more work as it pulled a bit. I do like the size of the razor. It is very nimble and maneuverable. Once I get it fully honed I think it will be quite a shaver.