Beginner Hone Set

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
SirCur

Beginner Hone Set

Post by SirCur »

Gents,

I posted about this before, got a couple strops, but still haven't purchased any hones. Based on some previous input, thought I had this - kind of - figured out, now I'm confused.

Just one question - to start, is there ANY need to get anything other than:

Norton 4/8k
+ Yellow couticule stone

This is what I am planning to start with (along with 2 strops and a 4 sided, pasted strop). Is there any need to even consider anything else to get started?

Best ... Steve
To want what I have
To take what I'm given with grace
For this I pray
mparker762

Post by mparker762 »

That will cover 90% of what you'll ever need to do.

If you're just planning to do ebay restores you'll probably also want a 1k hone. And if you're susceptible to AD's then you'll also want a yellow-green escher, 30k shapton, maruka nakayama, etc.
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

I would have to agree with mparker, short of repairing *major* chips/nicks you'll be fine with those two hones. In a pinch, some 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper on top of your wet 8k Norton so it sticks down would get you by on the rough honing on a badly chipped blade and then you could go on to the 4k side etc.

Watch out for the hone acquisition disorder, it's particularly nasty! The worst part about that ad is you can't even shave with the bloody things but you still find a need to keep accumulating them! To be honest, I would suggest adding a DMT D8C 8" x 3" diamond hone for truing your other hones. You don't really need it but if you are already ordering a coticule from Howard, the $$$ spent on that DMT will be well worth it in the end. It makes keeping your hones flat and clean so much easier. I used to use a marble tile and wet/dry paper and it works ok, but I'm really glad I sprung for the coarse DMT.

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
SirCur

Post by SirCur »

Christian - thanks for the tips. I have not purchased any hones just yet. However, I know that my one and only straight is not sharp enough. Not only does it FAIL the HHT, to cut one hair, I have to bend it around the razor, and drag it back and forth to cut! Sounds like a couple hones might be in order!

Best ... Steve
To want what I have
To take what I'm given with grace
For this I pray
JohnP
Hookahman

Post by JohnP »

Steve,
FWIW and all that, for years on the straightrazorplace forums, even when it was just a yahoo group, it was thought the ONLY hone one needed was a Norton 4k/8k and *maybe* a pasted strop.
Of course now,we are IMHO approaching the land of diminishing returns, as the numbers on the grits go into the multiple 10,000's....
You can do quite nicely with ONLY the Norton and a good strop even today. If you have the money, the coticule is a nice touch also, but IMHO it isn't absolutely necessary. Of course, I do have (4) of them, so take that with a grain of salt.

Another option that works quite well is the new 8000 grit diamond stone. Just to throw a wrench into your thinking....

John P.
Occam

Post by Occam »

I can only add that I've gotten great results with the Spyderco UF ceramic hone.

In fact by lapping only one side I have a 4000/10000+ (Japanese equivalent) combo that has made things even better.

The lapped side is a very safe touch up hone also and removes metal very slowly and gives a mirror finish. The factory side removes metal quickly and would be good for the occasional more intensive touchup.

The best thing is you use it dry and it never needs re-lapping for all practical purposes.

I think once you use the water type stones then you'll quickly tire of the need for constantly keeping the stone wet and getting rid of embedded metal grit, and lapping it. My recommendation would be to skip the Norton 4000/8000 and look at the Diamond or ceramic hones which are more user friendly.
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.