Straight razor training exercise...

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Occam

Straight razor training exercise...

Post by Occam »

I just wanted to share this for people just starting out as I've never seen it written before.

One of the biggest challenges when starting out is having to contend with angle, pressure, strokes and importantly VISUALISING in the mirror the whole process.

That last thing becomes less important as you progress. I can do most of my face and neck just by feel but it is important when learning.

The way I suggest you might learn this without having a sharp razor in your hand is to simply use the back of a butter knife on a lathered up face.

Try this exercise at least three times getting the angles etc right and making sure you can maneuver your head and hands for a good view in the mirror. I'm positive that if you do the butter knife training exercise before starting to straight razor shave will help get you further quicker.

Even if you aren't a straight razor shaver or thinking of doing it, this exercise may show you how cool it can be!
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
Hawkeye5

Post by Hawkeye5 »

Sounds better than how I learned.
John
SirCur

Post by SirCur »

Ben, this sounds like a great idea! I believe it's worth a try - guaranteed cut-free "practice shave".

Best ... Steve
To want what I have
To take what I'm given with grace
For this I pray