Finally a presentable shave!

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Occam

Finally a presentable shave!

Post by Occam »

My nightly practice shave tonight finally brought home the goods.

This is probably my 10th all over straight shave now.

Last night I was so frustrated at the shave's quality I somehow convinced myself that I must have an overhoned razor however unlikely. So I backhoned, pulled the blade on a matchstick and went back to the unlapped side of the Spyderco UF... then the lapped...

Had a test shave and still not great but better...

I decided I'd see what it was like tonight and stropped the TISG razor and after doing my cheeks and trying my moustache it was a big letdown.

So back to the lapped hone I went... realising that there is obviously a lot more to this honing thing than passing HHT tests... after about 30 strokes that familiar 'vacuum' effect of the razor not wanting to come up started happening regularly...

Stropped about 20 strokes on leather and this is where the REAL discovery lay! I noticed that I was stropping so lightly that there was some draw occuring and the razor was reluctant to come up! Like the vacuum effect on the hone the stropping was generating the same thing!

Back to shave...

FINALLY the TISG is smooth... a touch better than my Bartmann which I am very pleased with overall. And finally I realised what a straight shave SHOULD be like... minimal pulling... nice smooth strokes and even the moustache and chin were OK.

As a result I finally have a decent shave. I'd still have an early afternoon shadow so we're not talking perfection here by any means but the quality of the shave was so much better it was not even fair to even try to compare it to my first try with the TISG which is beyond doubt now poorly sharpened by Lynn.

I am really disappointed that the sharpening service really achieved nothing for me. I'm sure a razor properly honed by Lynn is probably even better than what I have now, but as others have pointed out I realise full well that mishaps occur.

After much effort and trial though, at least I now understand the real taste of straight shaving... I was getting to the point where I was close to giving it up.
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
sebell

Post by sebell »

Ben,

It takes a good _long_ time for one to develop a real sense
of how their edge is doing. In a few months (or years) you'll
have no problem instantly diagnosing an edge and applying
the appropriate remedy.

Don't forget the linen when it comes to stropping, it can be a
key factor in getting that edge to smooth shaving sharpness.

Good luck!

- Scott
Occam

Post by Occam »

After a 45 minute 3 to 4 pass shave - 2 WTG and 1 XTG I have an even more presentable shave today.

In fact, even though I didn't do an against the grain I have areas that are near BBS and look really good.

Moustache is much better with the XTG but its still taking forever to get angles around the chin right and the chin and mouth area alone takes at least 30 minutes of high attention shaving with some very short fast stroke type shaving.

Nevertheless I resisted the urge to get out the DE and am happy with the resulting shave.

Big lesson was the importance of stropping... I'm getting much better at it and I stropped between each pass with noticeable improvement of the edge and smoothness of the shave.

What was even more great was that after 45 minutes of softened beard, the result wasn't looking so great... but after some alum, witch hazel and some time to dry it looked fantastic.
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
sebell

Post by sebell »

Well done :)

- Scott
Padron

Post by Padron »

Great Ben!,

Keep at it, your shaves and technique will improve steadily. I think Scott may be on to something as well, as far as hitting the linen then the leather. I usually do about 20 to 30 passes on each and have an edge that will get me through a 3 pass shave if desired without the need to strop in between passes, my beard may be less coarse than yours though..?

Also, try to not apply too much pressure, as that may be causing some irritation.

Sounds like your on your way though, Congrats :D

Best,
Neale
GibII

Post by GibII »

Scott,

I have a newbie question. How does the linen part of the strop come into play? I have looked around and found very little info on what the linen side does/helps with.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

GibII wrote:Scott,

I have a newbie question. How does the linen part of the strop come into play? I have looked around and found very little info on what the linen side does/helps with.
mparker said it best when he referred to linen as the finest hone you have.
Richard
GibII

Post by GibII »

Thanks Richard.

I just found the thread you started called "The Linen Thread"

Wes