carbon steel/stainless steel???

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
drumana

carbon steel/stainless steel???

Post by drumana »

What are the advantages of each? What is recommended for a first time straight shaver? I'm looking at the DOVO 5/8 tortoise (carbon), or the TI sicilian olivewood 5/8 (stainless). . . I'm leaning towards the TI, but thought I'd check in here first.

THanks
-Andrew-
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Andrew I always recommend carbon for razors or even kitchen knives for that matter. Carbon is easier for me to maintain an edge and I'd rather hone/strop more often than make a bigger chore of it with the harder stainless.
Regards,
Squire
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

Make sure you dry the razor well after every usage if you go with carbon steel.

I've been learning on a 6/8 carbon steel Dovo and it's going very well. I'm happy with the choice - But, and it's a big one...The better I get with this thing I'm tempted to start acquiring new blades :P

That TI Egyptian Snakewood 6/8 is tempting me right at this moment...However, I really like the TI's with the thumb indent...
Last edited by Esoteric83 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Occam

Post by Occam »

Pluses and minusses on both sides.

I have a TI Carbon and while I'm finding it good, I hate its propensity to go black in spots. It seems to stain if you just wave it about wrong.

Actually most of it has to do with 45 minute to 1 hour learner plate shaves where I'm using it... I think if you can get through a shave in 10 minutes the rust/stain issue would be insignificant.
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
mparker762

Re: carbon steel/stainless steel???

Post by mparker762 »

drumana wrote:What are the advantages of each? What is recommended for a first time straight shaver? I'm looking at the DOVO 5/8 tortoise (carbon), or the TI sicilian olivewood 5/8 (stainless). . .
Both of those razors are carbon steel.
sebell

Post by sebell »

Both of those razors are carbon steel.
Yup. As far as I'm aware, TI do not have a stainless
offering.

- Scott
drumana

Post by drumana »

So. . . silver steel = carbon steel? OK. My mistake. Seems like either one will do, eh?
-Andrew-
sebell

Post by sebell »

Silver steel is a very hard carbon steel, usually with
some chromium. I'm not sure exactly what the comp-
osition of TI razors is, but it's hard and provides a
great shaving edge and a great finish.

Buy whichever one you prefer, they will both give great
shaves!

- Scott
drumana

Post by drumana »

Thanks guys. . . That TI Sicilian Olivewood 5/8 is really winking at me. It's a beauty, and I'm of Sicilian decent, so it just appeals to me :oops: I'm a little nervous about taking the straight razor leap, but I have a feeling it's gonna happen wether I like it or not. . .
-Andrew-
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

drumana wrote:I'm a little nervous about taking the straight razor leap, ...
I suggest you stand relatively still, at least for your first try. :lol:
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

notthesharpest wrote:
drumana wrote:I'm a little nervous about taking the straight razor leap, ...
I suggest you stand relatively still, at least for your first try. :lol:
~Greg
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

drumana wrote:Thanks guys. . . That TI Sicilian Olivewood 5/8 is really winking at me. It's a beauty, and I'm of Sicilian decent, so it just appeals to me :oops: I'm a little nervous about taking the straight razor leap, but I have a feeling it's gonna happen wether I like it or not. . .
Embrace it my man!! I'm about a month in and loving every minute of it...From a beginners perspective, I was really over cautious with my angle the first time and this was very detrimental to my shave. The lesser angle led to pulling and skipping of the blade.

My next shave, I manned-up and was adamant about keeping a 30 degree angle and the difference was night and day.

If you are very carefully with the initial placement of the blade on your face before strokes, maintain a proper angle, keep the strokes short, maintain a very firm grip but without excess pressure, prepare the blade properly etc....You will do just fine with minimal blood.

Also, most importantly, do not over do it - Quit while you are ahead and do not expect BBS shaves the first couple, well weeks, possible months. Patience will prevail.

I'm still not BBS yet, but each shave further reveals the power of these things.

Best of luck - Keep us posted!
EverSharp

Post by EverSharp »

Once you experience you first good shave with a straight you'll be addicted. Straight shaves are closer and more comfortable than a DE. However, it will take some time to adapt dependent on your shaving skills and dexterity.

I enjoy both my Dovo's and my TI's but would recommend theTI in a either or situation. The Ti has more heft and has a smoother feel.

Good luck.