Doing something realy wrong.

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Brak

Doing something realy wrong.

Post by Brak »

I decided to give a straight a try. I purchased one of those Zeepk shavette style razors as a starter in case I discovered straight wasn't for me. I've shaved with it twice and ran into severe problems both times.

Both times, I have managed to take two big slices out right under my nostrils with several smaller cuts on my chin. It's almost as if the blade just digs in and takes hold. I'm doing something wrong but I can't figure out what. I've never had these problems with a DE and I'm getting frustrated while having a face that is all cut up.

I read the guide written by Moss with no improvements. There has got to be something that I am missing.
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

Could be that something is being missed. While it is true that some folks arent well suited to using a straight, it is often due to less than suitable shave gear, the Zeepk razor being the first thing I would change out in this case. In fact, any replaceable blade straight would probably not be my first draft choice to transition on. It is possible that some people use these things without much trouble, but I am glad I dont need to.

Dave
Last edited by Dave_D on Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

(Quick edit) I just reread your post, I did not notice the fact that the Zeepk was one of the shavette style razors. I have no idea if they are suitable for shaving either... Personally I wouldn't get my hopes up but any of the half DE blade straights will be tricky to use as the blade itself is so sharp and flexible. It's hard even for a skilled shaver to avoid nicks with those things. If you want straight shaving without the honing or stropping I would suggest the Feather Artist Club razors, they are actually designed for shaving your *beard*, the DE blade jobs are meant for hair stylists to clean up the nape of the neck and in some cases for actual hair styling (my dad was a barber back in the 60s and frequently used a straight for cutting hair instead of shears and clippers). However, I still feel that the comments below should stand as I think it's the best way to go about learning to shave with a straight.
(End of edit)

I'm afraid that what you are missing is the warning about Zeepk razors, they are NOT suitable for shaving... very poor quality steel. Also watch out for razors called Kriegar (sp?) and anything else that is called *NEW* and is very cheap. Best to ask here or on Straightrazorplace.com aka SRP. You would have been much better off with a vintage razor honed by someone who knows how and that you could have purchased for probably $30 - $50. It won't look as nice as that Zeepk perhaps, but you would have been able to shave with it just fine. I got a vintage, well used Clauss for $10 at a local shop, honed it up myself (not recommended for your first time but I didn't know any better either back then) and it's the razor I reach for most often, even though I have about 15 razors now that all shave very well.

New razors can be had from reputable dealers such as Classic Shaving, Vintage Blades LLC, The Shaving Shop etc. if you wish to go that route, but please go to a reputable dealer. Again, ask if you find someone other than what I've mentioned above, someone here or on SRP will know if it's the real deal or someone/something you should stay away from.

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Re: Doing something realy wrong.

Post by notthesharpest »

Brak wrote:I read the guide written by Moss with no improvements. There has got to be something that I am missing.
- There are probably better disposable blade holders than that one.

- They are still nothing like a real straight, so don't judge straight razors by these.

- Some guys just don't like straight razors.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Brak,
A disposable blade straight is a tricky thing - a very sharp DE blade in a lightweight and sometimes flimsy holder. It is certainly very easy to cut yourself with one, but they can provide an excellent shave if you take your time and concentrate on what you are doing. Remember to lay the razor relatively flat on your skin, then lift the spine a little and move it only in a direction perpendicular to the long axis of the razor - never slide it in the direction of the long axis (at least, not until you are much more experienced, and then in a limited way). Don't press hard, and think about the corners of your blade when around your nostrils - we have all had little cuts there when beginning.
Part of the joy of using a straight is that it is an accomplishment that takes time and practice. The proficiency you achieve with that effort is what will make it satisfying in a way that no other razor can approach. Don't be downcast if you didn't get it perfect the first time; I certainly didn't!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Brad

Post by Brad »

I have been shaving with a straight for about 3 months now and still rarely get as close as I did with a DE across my entire neck. I do get pretty close to BBS with less irritation with a straight than I did with a DE and am getting better all the time. I use a straight 90% of the time now, only going back to the DE when I travel or am in a time crunch. Occasionally I will also go back to it to clean up areas that I missed, but I try to do that with a DE.

Get a good vintage blade honed by someone who knows what they are doing and you will be happy you did. While not for everyone, straight razors are now my blade fo choice.

Brad
It's only funny until someone get hurt, then it's hilarious