First cut from straight!

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Occam

First cut from straight!

Post by Occam »

Well I had had a good run... no nicks or cuts in about 10 straight razor shaves with improvement in shave quality.

Today I used possibly what was the sharpest edge on this razor and got a reasonable first pass in. Slight pulling but even Chris mentions a slight 'enjoyable' pull with the TI SG razor.

Then the second pass... and I became a bit ambitious trying some different angles around my problem chin area... and before I knew it... I saw some blood pooling up just above the outer part of my chin in a vertical direction indicating I'd accidentally touched the blade there. It wasn't a shaving stroke but rather an inadvertent touch to the area that resulted in it.

It stopped bleeding quickly with the edges welting a little.

I lost my nerve with the rest of the shave around the chin and just used my DE to finish up. Alum and some powdered styptic to the area have led to it looking OK... but I now understand the cuts people get from these... and how most are not shaving related but rather accidental touches to wrong areas... chins, ears, noses and most frequently fingers...
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

That's the one thing about straight razors... you can never let your guard down. For the same reason, I never shave with a straight if I have a cold or flu... it just takes one uncontrolled cough to do some serious damage depending on where the blade is when it happens. Same goes for the little ones, not to mention pets or the missus. NOBODY enters the bathroom when I'm shaving without permission. Critters get kicked out etc. And when I need to put the razor down, I *always* fold it to guard the blade.... I once turned around with a towel in my hand and it brushed against the razor and it clattered to the floor... no harm done but had it been open and fallen on my foot..... :shock:

Straights are safe enough, but please treat them like a loaded firearm.

Regards

Kaptain "Now THAT could have been a close shave" Zero
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.