Norton Ftattening Stone

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
shaveshell

Norton Ftattening Stone

Post by shaveshell »

Hi, I'm about to buy a Norton 4000/8000 and was wondering if I need to buy the flattening stone? Does it even need to be lapped?

Thanks,
Matt
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Yes the Norton hones need to be flattened aka lapped before first use as they are not only rough but rarely even close to flat.

You can lap the Norton 4K/8K on wet/dry 220 grit paper backed by a flat piece of glass or a polished granite or marble floor tile. They aren't perfect but if you choose carefully, they should be flat enough to get you going.

You could get the Norton flattening stone but in my opinion you would be better served going with a DMT D8C 8" x 3" 325 grit diamond plate. It usually sells for somewhere around the $55.00 mark and will serve you very well. It does a great job on the Norton and any other hones you might accumulate if you stay with straight shaving. It's also useful for sharpening kitchen knives etc. but I wouldn't use it on a razor except for perhaps the most extreme nick removal as it is coarse enough to chip a razors edge.

I used to use wet/dry myself but noticed a marked improvement when I got the D8C and unlike the Norton Flattening stone, it's useful for barbers hones and the like, something the Norton would not be suitable for.

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I got a Norton flattening stone with my 220/1000 and 4K/8K Norton hones, and it works fine on them, plus my 2K and 12K Naniwas. I've found that the DMT D8C works great to flatten the Escher and Swaty finishing stones. I've get a DMT D8E (1250) that I use in place of the 1K Norton hone, to set and maintain the edge before going to the Naniwa 2K. Some guys have said they prefer the 1000 stones because they feel the DMT D8E is too aggressive, but I maintain that it's more related to technique and what you're used to using, not necessarily the stone's fault. Anyway, after a lot of trial and error, these seem to work best at the present time for me and my razors. As long as I'm getting the edges that work, I'm a happy camper.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I just use a 220 slipstone.
Ed