Fixing an uneven strop

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
rohandias

Fixing an uneven strop

Post by rohandias »

Hi all,

I stupidly bought two leather strops at a bargain price over the internet. (I want to be able to use a strop for at least a month without producing any significant nicks before I move on to my Tony Miller)
The surface of one of the strops is completely not even - it has frequent fold lines perpendicular to the length of the strop.
The strop is quite thick, about 0.6 cm

My question is: can i resurrect/flatten out this strop? If so, what is the best way to do it?
(I have a bottle of neats foot oil)
My first instinct would be to sand the surface, but if there is a tried and true method of how to do this then it would be very appreciated.

Cheers
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The traditional method is to oil it and then roll it out on a flat surface either with a bottle or a rolling pin. I've never had to do it, as I don't fold strops!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I had a folded strop and found it very difficult to get even and I just gave up and only used the linen side. I tried hanging a few paint cans from it from a beam in the basement for a week, I pumiced down the bumps, and oiled it. The fold lines disappeared after heavy pumicing but you will always feel that area when you strop the razor.
Richard
rohandias

Post by rohandias »

would it be possible to completely and uniformly sand the entire surface?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Yes, you can do this, but you may leave the surface with an extra 'nap' so that it becomes a rougher strop than before. You will also have to be careful that no particles of grit from the sandpaper are left embedded in the strop.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Heirphoto

Post by Heirphoto »

Also be sure these are really folds and not fat wrinkles in the hide. When I sold another companies strops before making mine about one in four had creases right across the width of the strop. These cannot be fixed.

A real fold or crease may be less of a problm if the strop is treated with Neat's Foot Oil and gently folded back against the original crease. Your will still always feel it when in use but maybe not as much.

Tony
The Heirloom Razor Strop Co.
www.thewellshavedgentleman.com
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I recall someone years ago soaking the strop in water to get rid of creases etc. But I can't vouch for it. My advice is to bite the bullet and get a new one.

Chris
John 5

Post by John 5 »

Good opportunity to remind people who are in your situation to go ahead and spend the few extra bills that Tony charges for the practice strop. My take would be, that It seems he includes some leftover leather which comes from his regular supply. Not top grade, perhaps the ends and bits that are left on the side while he is assembling his premium stuff, but, it is really worth it. I don't recall exactly how much it was, but only an option of a few bucks on top of your purchase.

And, even sans the missing hardware and all, it really is a nice piece of leather you get. Mines looks so good, I'm actually thinking of buying some hardware for it to make it a permanent travel strop or such. And can't beat it for practicing, too, hence Tony's choice of name, 'practice strop.'
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Heirphoto wrote:When I sold another companies strops before making mine about one in four had creases right across the width of the strop. These cannot be fixed.
Tony
Sounds like the cheaper Illinois strops!

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Why not just buy one of the nice Heirloom strops, and take advantage of the fantastic practice strop that Tony makes available at a very nice price to purchasers of the nicer strops?
rohandias

Post by rohandias »

I've done exactly that, however due to a few lapses in concentration (+ being a newbie) i have managed to nick the practice strop it a fair bit. Thats the reason I went for a cheap one. I have a magnificent Heirloom strop waiting in the wings, however I want enough confidence before i use it. I'm far better now though - once i use the new practice strop for a month without nicking I'll move on to the real deal.
I think I might try the oil or just see how sanding turns out. Thanks for all the responses!
dada

Post by dada »

I've soaked a few vintage strops, with varying degrees of success

Use this as an opportunity to practice and learn (as you intended :)) - soak it in the tub (may bleed, btw), then lay flat to dry. When completely dry, condition and you may be good to go. Or, then you may still want to sand, pumice, etc.

Cheers
Ivo
Heirphoto

Post by Heirphoto »

John 5,
Yes, the "practice strop" is basic tool from leftovers...as the $6.50 price would indicate. These are from some of the pieces I cut when mnaking my good strops that will have wrinkles, stains, hard or soft spots, etc.... Their sole intent is a tool to practice of that will both work as a strop and not hurt the razors edge. Some come out really nice with flaws you would really need to look for, others are average, all will do the job. No handles, no frills, no profit :) A break even bonus to those who buy my best pieces.

If supply were better I'd offer them with everything but there are just not enough to go around.

Tony
The Heirloom Razor Strop Co.
www.thewellshavedgentleman.com