What can you tell me about this straight?

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
rsrick

What can you tell me about this straight?

Post by rsrick » Sun May 04, 2008 11:41 am

I was roaming the antique shops today looking for vintage DE's when I came across this straight for $25 which I bought on impulse (was a bit disappointed that I only came across a valet auto strop and couldn't end my day by spending no $$).

The guy in the shop said that they had around 20 straights a couple of weeks ago but a movie production company showed up and bought all that he had (apparently they are filming a movie set in the early 1900s).

Can anyone shed some light on this straight? Approx age? Was $25 a decent buy price or did I get hosed?

Edge has no wear to speak off, a few scratches from honing, a few areas with very small pits, the colouring on the solingen is faded slightly, scales (plastic?) are in good condition with some minor scrathes, pins are holding scales in place tightly. The shank is labeled on one side with Bohler Stahl and Solingen on the other.

Cheers,

Rick

kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero » Sun May 04, 2008 1:53 pm

Looks like you got yourself a nice user razor, nothing special though from what I can tell. Bohler Steel doesn't ring any bells, box only states "Finest skilled work" and of course Solingen. You weren't taken and you didn't steal it either, just a nice user that should be honed up and placed in your rotation of razors if you are straight shaver. I'd guess it was made in the middle part of the last century, ca 1950ish. Based on the pictures, if it were honed and ready to go it would probably sell for somewhere around $45 I would think.

Perhaps someone else has run across the Bohler name... I haven't.

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.

xChris

Post by xChris » Sun May 04, 2008 5:04 pm

Böhler is a European-based steel manufacturer, I believe. So, it looks like the maker was trying to relay the quality material used in the blade by an established (high regarded?) steel manufacturer.

I've had a couple of unknown maker Solingen razors, and they've all performed well with consistent feel to other Solingen razors. $25 is a very reasonable price, especially when you consider that you can use it for the rest of your days.
Chris

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 » Sun May 04, 2008 6:42 pm

Yeah, Cambridge Chemists in NY used to sell similiar razors; no actual maker/brand name, that type of design on the blade, etc. I always meant to ask Scott about them, but didn't get around to it.
Regards,
Gordon