Jemico Straight Razor

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
likwidoxigen

Jemico Straight Razor

Post by likwidoxigen » Sat May 10, 2008 10:06 am

Does anyone know anything about Jemico razors? I found some information about their strops which sounded respectable enough. however I am super curious to see if anyone has an opinion of their razors. I was on my favorite knive site browsing around and ran into http://budk.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_38+KL26 <- that good looking specimen. It's carbon steel which means oxidation, but that also means it should hold an edge well, correct?

Any thoughts?

xChris

Post by xChris » Sat May 10, 2008 10:26 am

It looks to me like a re-branded Timor (Giesen & Forsthoff) razor. That is really the only other mass manufacturer in Solingen besides Dovo (though Boker is starting to ramp up with razor production again).
Chris

likwidoxigen

Post by likwidoxigen » Sat May 10, 2008 11:02 am

That it certainly does. I saw the Jemico re-branded dovo strops so it seems safe to assume that it's a re-brand of the Timor.

Thanks so much for the help!

Have you ever used the Timor?

JayKay

Post by JayKay » Sat May 10, 2008 2:08 pm

I believe I saw these razors in a bunch of barber supply catalogs. I know nothing about them though.
-Jay

xChris

Post by xChris » Sat May 10, 2008 7:52 pm

likwidoxigen wrote:That it certainly does. I saw the Jemico re-branded dovo strops so it seems safe to assume that it's a re-brand of the Timor.

Thanks so much for the help!

Have you ever used the Timor?
Yes, I have; I used to have a Timor "Blue Steel" 5/8, carbon steel. It worked just fine -- nothing fancy -- though I did like the blued shank and spine. I didn't have a problem with getting it honed up, and shaving well either. However, Lynn Abrams has mentioned that he had issues with them during honing (e.g., off-grinds, warping); of course, he's seen quite a few more examples than the one I had.
Chris

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein » Sat May 10, 2008 8:01 pm

I would recommend steering clear of these. They are hit or miss in quality. Sometimes you get a bad one that won't take a proper edge. I've honed a few that were just pitiful and I felt bad for the owners because I felt they got taken. There are some good ones though but why gamble? Save your money and get a Thiers Issard or a Dovo. Even the bottom line Dovo's are consistently high quality. Hope that helps.

Chris

likwidoxigen

Post by likwidoxigen » Sun May 11, 2008 9:19 am

Well it seems to be like they're hit or miss so I'll stay away from it for now. I'll keep looking around then I guess. Thanks guys!