Grail Shave Approaching?

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
mparker762

Post by mparker762 »

There's just something about flexcut gold and stainless steel. I've tried it with carbon steel razors and didn't like the way they shaved, but many of my stainless razors shave extremely well off of it (I have mine on a roughout hanging strop from Hand American). And my hardest stainless razor, by Bill Ellis, absolutely loves loves loves the stuff.

The whiskers on the right side of my face are tougher, denser, and grow faster. I'm right handed.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I have now dug out my 7/8 Filarmonica Doble Temple stainless, which has a reputation for being an awkward bugger. The American Swaty followed by Flexcut Gold on a paddle and ....... it eats out of my hand now! A visually acceptable shave going with the grain only, and a palpably acceptable one if I add an across the grain pass. This might just become my travel razor, given the durability of stainless steel and the relative lack of worry about rust when it gets put away with a few molecules of moisture on it.

This is fun again!

Chris
Smoother than El Caudillo
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yep, same deal as mparker. And I too am right handed. I've noticed this for years, and wondered if I was the only one.
Regards,
Gordon
goose

Post by goose »

I think this should be its own topic at some point. I'm right handed as well, and that side of my face has always been more difficult because of what the other have described. I always assumed it was my imagination and that it must be easier for my dominant hand to shave the other side of my face, but I always notice more stubble on my right side FWIW.

Clint
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The other keratin outgrowth of our hide - our nails - always grow faster on the dominant side. This is easily explained by the suggestion that the stronger, larger muscles have a better developed blood supply than the weaker smaller ones on the non-dominant side. The nails will get the benefit and grow faster. But do I really use the muscles of facial expression more on the right side of my face and have thus a better blood supply on that side, thus growing beard faster there? Now that is an interesting question!

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I've heard that faces have a dominant side (more active, more expressive, looks more like "you"). Never looked into the idea.
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

notthesharpest wrote:I've heard that faces have a dominant side (more active, more expressive, looks more like "you"). Never looked into the idea.
If you want to see how true that is, pay attention to every picture you see of a particular celebrity for a little while, and you will notice that they are trying to be photographed from one side (and will strike very deliberate poses to front one side). Some are particularly anal about it because one side is particularly dominant.
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

loueedacat1 wrote:
notthesharpest wrote:I've heard that faces have a dominant side (more active, more expressive, looks more like "you"). Never looked into the idea.
If you want to see how true that is, pay attention to every picture you see of a particular celebrity for a little while, and you will notice that they are trying to be photographed from one side (and will strike very deliberate poses to front one side). Some are particularly anal about it because one side is particularly dominant.
By the way, I should qualify this as saying a "female celebrity." Not sure guys are as fussy about that.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

loueedacat1 wrote:
loueedacat1 wrote:
By the way, I should qualify this as saying a "female celebrity." Not sure guys are as fussy about that.
The image that springs to mind is Paris Hilton, who always moves into that stupidly annoying pseudo-coy slightly downward looking showing only one side of her face pose. (I'm not a fan, if that wasn't clear.)

Julio Iglesias was notorious for only allowing one side of his face to be photographed, but that was due to acne damage on the other side.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

In La Hilton's case it is because she has a squint (possibly Burgess's 'venerean strabismus').

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

This is a great example of a thread evolving.

We start with the grail shave and end up with Paris Hilton. :D
sebell

Post by sebell »

I'm not sure if my beard grows faster, but it is definitely much tougher
on my right (dominant) side, especially right next to my chin.

- Scott
brothers

Post by brothers »

Just for the record, my stubble doesn't vary from one side to the other. So there!

Also, I noticed that the famous pop singer, oh, what is her name, I'll think of it later, anyway she never allows the left side of her face to be seen whether in a still photo or live on stage, which I guess is a result of strict instructions to the camera operators and the people in charge of editing. You know who I'm talking about, she has an enormous range of several octaves. It'll come to me sooner or later. What could be so revolting that someone would refuse to permit one side of their face to be seen?

I think I've just figured out why she does that! It's the same reason as the guys here are discussing! The beard on the left side of this female singer's face is obviously so dense and dark that she hides it. Maybe she should change razors. What do you think?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
matt321

Post by matt321 »

According to Google that would be Mariah Carey.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Matt. Thanks for helping me out there. :lol: All of that stuff is packed in my massive brain, and sometimes it just takes time to go dig it out. With so much knowledge in there, and all. 8)

Last night while I was starting on a new book, I recalled the first name, slept all night, and as soon as I woke up, as the cobwebs cleared, Mariah Carey was the first thing that popped into my mind!

She should know that her beautiful voice and everything else is good enough, and she doesn't have to be ashamed and disgraced by whatever big secret she's tried so successfully to hide by keeping the left side of her face hidden. If it's a cosmetic issue, surely she's got the "dough re me" to take an afternoon off and go get it fixed.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Hawkeye5

Post by Hawkeye5 »

"Strange, I could have swore I read somewhere that the Chronik razor was made from an Unobtainium alloy rather than common steel?!?! Then again, it seems I can buy "rare earth" magnets in any quantity I wish from just about anywhere...... go figure. Mr. Green"

There seems to be but one, forged long ago in the fires under the mountain by elves that slipped in to the forbidden forges with their own blend of carbon and alloy. But it is a magical razor by all, well, at least one, account. :roll:
John
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, If you haven't already, do a search here on 'Chronik' and see what comes up. Several members did an exhaustive test and report thing on them several years ago. The project took several months to complete before it 'aired' on SMF and there was some interesting historical information/speculation that went along with it. Needless to say, this thread caused an...er....reaction 'elsewhere' ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon