Dovo 55

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Hraefn

Dovo 55

Post by Hraefn »

What can you guys tell me about a dovo 55?
Thus he shewed me: and, behold, the LORD stood upon a wall made by a plumbline, with a plumbline in his hand.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Do you mean the 7/8 new grinds of old blanks that are for sale at Vintage Blades? Unfortunately, I can tell you nothing, other than a Dovo that is 7/8 is relatively unusual, and one with a french point is also unusual. I see no reason why these should not be great shavers with the right honing.
Whether it's worth $299 to you is another question. Yesterday I took an old Kropp razor from an office drawer, where it has lived since being given to me by a patient. It's a bit battered and the blade is stained dark but not rusted or pitted. It honed up superbly - a razor doesn't have to look fancy to shave well (not that I have anything against fancy razors. :oops: ) So if you can have the great shave more cheaply, you have to buy the Dovo for its looks and for its peculiarities. Only you can say if it is worth the price for those things.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
crankymoose

Post by crankymoose »

they are great blades, mine shave and feel like a much heavier razor then they are, the scales are nothing fancy but the blade is really sweet, they shave similar to a LeGrelot, mine required very little work when they arrived to get dialed in right where I like them, I would say less then 10 minutes tops on some pasted paddles
Jim
Hraefn

Post by Hraefn »

i bought one at a barber shop for 40 bones, for my little brother and it seems to work well.
Thus he shewed me: and, behold, the LORD stood upon a wall made by a plumbline, with a plumbline in his hand.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

That must be a different razor then....

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
crankymoose

Post by crankymoose »

I'll say it must be different as I paid substantially more then that at Vintage Blades for mine, unless of course those are 40 very large bones :lol:
Jim
Hraefn

Post by Hraefn »

or the barber had no idea what he had
matt321

Post by matt321 »

I just acquired one of these. Will post photos when it arrives. 8)
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Finally after 2 years this old thread has photos.

The full blade width is 15/16ths so it's big. I think I'll call her "The Black Witch"