How about a Spyderco Straight Razor

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
matt321

How about a Spyderco Straight Razor

Post by matt321 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:06 pm

If the Spyderco knife company decided to make a sprint run of straight razors who should design it and what steel should be used. (This possibility has been mentioned by Sal Glesser on their forum in the past. So it isn't an outrageous thought.)

They sometimes outsource design and manufacture, and they like to experiment with exotic steel. I know they can't simply pick the absolute best material (if such existed) but must consider cost of materials and cost of manufacture in an effort to make it a profitable venture.

Special features:
Locks in closed position
Locks in stropping position
Serated edge. Oops bad idea.
Laminated blade
Assembled with torx screws.
Pocket clip

JimR

Post by JimR » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:46 pm

"Locks closed" I can get behind, "locks in stropping position" not so much--might make changing grips when shaving a pain. The screw assembly might also be cool--I'm looking for a local source for micro-fastener sized screws for just this reason. Other stuff? Hmmmm...

mparker762

Post by mparker762 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:21 am

locks closed is a good idea, locks open is a bad idea - you change the blade/scale angle all the time when shaving.

Most high-end razor manufacturers now use torx screws to hold the thing together. I'd expect the same from Spyderco.

No need for a pocket clip - these aren't EDC sorts of things any more than an electric razor is.

No need for San Mai blades unless they've found something really exotic. Livi does this with his Takeda razors, but tamahagane steel meets the "really exotic" qualification.

My fear is that Spyderco would insist on steel scales so we'd wind up with a Wapienica clone... with torx fasteners... and serrations...

loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:37 am

definitely the shirt pocket clip. That's a great idea. Particularly if it locks open, because then I don't want to carry it in my pants pocket.

xChris

Post by xChris » Sat May 16, 2009 12:13 pm

I'd like to see the use of H1 steel for the rust/corrosion prevention. The work hardening from honing would be an interesting aspect too.
Chris

barbiere

Post by barbiere » Sun May 17, 2009 10:05 am

The pocket clip might get in the way of gripping the scales while shaving.

I don't know how many guys would carry their razors around in their pocket.

It's interesting to see more companies interested in putting straights in their line as a test, possibly outsourcing the manufacture and marketing the product under their own brand.

There must be a perception that straights are a meaningful micro if not mega market.

barbiere

matt321

Post by matt321 » Mon May 18, 2009 6:59 am

Well, a year ago or so, the folks at Spyderco casually metioned in a forum post that they had given some thought to producing a straight razor. Anything beyond that statement is conjecture including the list of features in the first post. That was intended as my version of what might be possible.

Spyderco knife fans are rabid collectors and the company is very innovative. They frequently build knives designed by famous custom makers. So another thing to ponder is who might design the SpyderRazor. Maybe you? 8)

Hawkeye5

Post by Hawkeye5 » Mon May 18, 2009 10:06 am

Locks closed, locks in stropping position (open), pocket clip.... That is not a straight razor for shaving, thats a knife that wants to look like a straight razor. The only reason I can think of to have a lock open feature on a razor is that it becomes more usable as a weapon. No thanks.
John

shavedhead

Post by shavedhead » Tue May 26, 2009 2:14 pm

Hmmm!! Very interesting and the choice of steel would be VG 10??
Have a wonderful shaving day

mparker762

Post by mparker762 » Tue May 26, 2009 5:03 pm

Hawkeye5 wrote:The only reason I can think of to have a lock open feature on a razor is that it becomes more usable as a weapon. No thanks.
Lock-open seems very useful when honing and stropping. Razors are pretty marginal as weapons, lock-open or not. Even with knives you don't need lock-open for slicing, only for stabbing, but razors just aren't stabbing tools.

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca » Tue May 26, 2009 5:56 pm

mparker762 wrote:...but razors just aren't stabbing tools.
Is that a challenge?

Chris :wink:
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace

matt321

Post by matt321 » Wed May 27, 2009 11:54 am

Well, I hate a razor that slowly closes up as you strop. Even my tight ones tend to do that on latigo. I'm using latigo less and less for that reason. So yes, a strop lock sounds good to me.

Dave_D

Post by Dave_D » Wed May 27, 2009 8:29 pm

matt321 wrote:Well, I hate a razor that slowly closes up as you strop. Even my tight ones tend to do that on latigo.
I had this experience as well, until the strop was cleaned with mechanics hand cleaner and rinsed well. Something about the Latigo was gumming up and giving too much draw, the cleaner fixed it.

matt321

Post by matt321 » Sun May 31, 2009 8:36 am

Dave_D wrote:I had this experience as well, until the strop was cleaned with mechanics hand cleaner and rinsed well. Something about the Latigo was gumming up and giving too much draw, the cleaner fixed it.
Thanks for the tip. I tried it and it seems to have helped. (I used a hand cleaner without pumice.)