My First Restoration.

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
brothers

Post by brothers »

JimR wrote:
Dave_D wrote:Whatever it is, beautiful. Bet it shaves like a dream once it gets honed in, nice score.
Thanks! I'm worried about the honing...She'll probably have to go to a pro, which means across the pond...

Hmmm.
Jim, how does it shave, presuming now you've had the time to get it professionally honed? or, did you take that on yourself?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JimR

Post by JimR »

brothers wrote:
JimR wrote:
Dave_D wrote:Whatever it is, beautiful. Bet it shaves like a dream once it gets honed in, nice score.
Thanks! I'm worried about the honing...She'll probably have to go to a pro, which means across the pond...

Hmmm.
Jim, how does it shave, presuming now you've had the time to get it professionally honed? or, did you take that on yourself?
Gary, I've decided to take on the task myself, what with some of my successes with my coticule...so I'm getting a bit more experience under my belt before I get to shave with it. Should make it all the sweeter when I get there, though.
sebell

Post by sebell »

Way cool Jim, great job! I look forward to
hearing about the shave :)

- Scott
brothers

Post by brothers »

Piece of cake Jim. You can do it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

that looks really nice. thanks for sharing!
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Outstanding job on 'her' Jim! She will be proud of you!
Regards,
David
JimR

Post by JimR »

Thanks gents. I'm a bit worried about the honing though...that's one heck of a smile. I might give her to Lynn...
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Gee, with a razor like that, I would either send it off or at least get some expert opinions from the hone subforums on how to attack this. :shock:
supracuhz

Post by supracuhz »

Very nice. Do you have any larger pictures?
DiscoBubba

Incredible!

Post by DiscoBubba »

I came on here after a long hiatus to look for tips and tricks on how to polish up a decent looking J.R. Torrey I found recently at a local flea market. I'm shocked to find out such an interesting old straight came from Winsted, where I used to reside for much of my youth. I'm now only one town over and recognized the Beardsley name from Winsted's Library. Well I'll certainly be on the lookout from now at more local tag sales and flea markets for fascinating razors like this!

Supra: Check Jim's blog for some larger pictures.
Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Jim--

I'm not sure I get how you used the sanding jig in your pictures--did it hold the razor or the sandpaper? I'm about to give a try to a similar process on a couple of razors, and I'm trying to decide whether to do it by hand or with a dremel.
ferroburak

Post by ferroburak »

That is a very original razor!