Restoring a Blade

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
doleeo

Restoring a Blade

Post by doleeo » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:19 pm

So this whole straight shaving thing has so far been a success. I am now able to shave in under an hour :D

I was browsing ebay and came across a couple Joseph Elliot's. They appear to be in good enough condition to restore. Here is a pic of each one:

I really have no idea where to start, if the scales are usable, I plan on leaving them as is. As for the blade, I'm just looking to bring back some shine and remove all the pitting. I'll leave the honing to someone with some experience.

I don't have any sort of tools. I was planning on using 3M Auto sandpaper progressing to finer grits. Is there any special technique to this?

I'll post some more pictures when the razors arrive.
-Ethan

kenrup
Vendor

Post by kenrup » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:17 pm

This razor looks like a good candidate for restoration. Pitting can be a problem. If it is too deep you may have to leave some. The scales look fine. You can buff them up with MAAS. The blade will benefit from MAAS also. The pivot area can be a real challenge. If there is no obvious evidence of rust you won't need to pull the pin. A slick trick to clean up that area is to use dental floss. It will get between the blade and the scales.

Good Luck, [-o<
Ken

God is good! He watches over me, I use a straight razor.

RupRazor.com, Razor Restoration, Honing, Custom Scales, Custom Cowhide and Horsehide Strops.

doleeo

Post by doleeo » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:46 pm

Ken, I appreciate the reply, also kind of ironic, as these blades will probably be coming to you to be honed up.

I went ahead and bought a Dremel today so I've been reading up on various attachments to use and am really looking forward for the blades to arrive.
-Ethan