Painless weepers

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
a-cut-above

Painless weepers

Post by a-cut-above »

I have been getting several painless weepers each morning. I have been alternating between a DE and a straight every other day most of the time. I am currently using a Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (Yellow) in an Aristocrat and a new Dovo 6/8 half hollow that was supposed to be shave ready. It wasn't quite there so I touched it up on a 16K stone, CrOx paddle, then linen and leather strops. My shaves semed fine then in the mirror lots of scattered bleeding spots. No cuts or scrapes and no general razor burn over my face. Any ideas why I am now getting this?
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Painless weepers are generally a result of too much pressure with a very sharp blade. I would bet your problem is the mixture of the straight and the DE - you will be using straight-type pressure when you use the DE the next day and guess what happens?

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

Too true! I've had to use a DE this week for the first time in about 6 mos (hurt my arm so stropping no fun), and got a painless weeper because I used straight pressure with a DE blade!

The beauty of painless weepers though is they are truly painless!
Julius_Rodman

Post by Julius_Rodman »

loueedacat1 wrote:Too true! I've had to use a DE this week for the first time in about 6 mos (hurt my arm so stropping no fun), and got a painless weeper because I used straight pressure with a DE blade!

A hassle when they don't declare themselves until I've finished all the maintenance.

----------------

Kent
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

Julius_Rodman wrote:
loueedacat1 wrote:Too true! I've had to use a DE this week for the first time in about 6 mos (hurt my arm so stropping no fun), and got a painless weeper because I used straight pressure with a DE blade!

A hassle when they don't declare themselves until I've finished all the maintenance.

----------------

Kent
A hassle because it is a blow to my shaving ego as my technique is not so perfect (as my ego may otherswise have me believe) and because the ones on my neck sometimes leave little blood stains on the collars of my white shirts. They do, however, complement the catsup and salad dressing stains elsewhere on the day's wardrobe.

This is a good reminder on maintaining good technique.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
Julius_Rodman

Post by Julius_Rodman »

----------------

Kent[/quote]

A hassle because it is a blow to my shaving ego as my technique is not so perfect (as my ego may otherswise have me believe) and because the ones on my neck sometimes leave little blood stains on the collars of my white shirts. They do, however, complement the catsup and salad dressing stains elsewhere on the day's wardrobe.

This is a good reminder on maintaining good technique.[/quote]

Yup. For some reason this happens only when I'm using a new Feather DE blade.

----------------------

Kent
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

Kent,
Good point. Looking back, they ocurred when I started a new blade, especially the very sharp (in a good way) Gillette Yellows but even with a Dorco 301, my preferred blade with Merkurs. It makes sense, given the Merkur's larger blade exposure. Like they say in Real Estate, "Technique, technique, technique". :wink:
Dave

Julius_Rodman

Post by Julius_Rodman »

a-cut-above wrote:Kent,
Good point. Looking back, they ocurred when I started a new blade, especially the very sharp (in a good way) Gillette Yellows but even with a Dorco 301, my preferred blade with Merkurs. It makes sense, given the Merkur's larger blade exposure. Like they say in Real Estate, "Technique, technique, technique". :wink:

Yup.

Eventually I learned that a sharp blade with less pressure delivers a great shave and no irritation.

-----------

Kent
ferroburak

Post by ferroburak »

drmoss_ca wrote:Painless weepers are generally a result of too much pressure with a very sharp blade. I would bet your problem is the mixture of the straight and the DE - you will be using straight-type pressure when you use the DE the next day and guess what happens?

Chris
I guess that is the answer.