Livi Snake - Photos Added

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Livi Snake - Photos Added

Post by drmoss_ca »

Ever seen one of these in the flesh? Big bruiser. I'll post pics of my own at the weekend.

I have just done my usual touch-up routine (no disrespect to Il Maestro, but I have seen the videos of how he sharpens them) on a Chinese 12k (200 passes), Spyderco UF 3" (100 passes), Illinois 827 with Flexcut Gold (25 passes), Ilinois 827 with HandAmerican Liquid Chrome (25 passes), HandAmerican leather bench hone with Liquid Chrome (50 passes), SRD 'seat belt/ballistic nylon' "linen" (50 passes), and SRD latigo (25 passes firm and 5 passes gentle). The hairs on the back of my left hand fall over as it whizzes by without any sensation whatsoever. Expertly made, superbly finished and exquisitely beautiful, the only criticism I can level at it before shaving is that there is an inadequate shank to hold for stropping. The scales, which are artistically shaped with a long overhang past the pivot rivet, interfere with one's grip of the shank when trying to strop. Again, at the weekend I will post a picture of the razor with the scales angled for stropping; the ends of the scales nearest the pivot extend over the shank (tang to some, although they would be wrong; the tang is the part that sticks out beyond the scales distal to the pivot), leaving next to nothing to grip whilst stropping. This razor is not going to be a Wall of Shame Queen, it is going to earn its keep, and must be stroppable. I shall find a way.

Tomorrow the first shave.

Chris
Last edited by drmoss_ca on Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

It looks like it is alive! This has to be a one-off art piece,is it not?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ZethLent

Post by ZethLent »

Awesome!!

I think that first shave with it will be quite the shave!!

We anxiously await your pics.
笑う門に福来る。
druphus

Post by druphus »

WOW!
Regards,
Andy
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Chris you must be one of those guys who can get by with just a few hours of sleep. It is a stunning piece though, amazing how utility and art can be so conjoined.
Regards,
Squire
Hawkeye5

Post by Hawkeye5 »

"...the only criticism I can level at it before shaving is that there is an inadequate shank to hold for stropping. The scales, which are artistically shaped with a long overhang past the pivot rivet, interfere with one's grip of the shank when trying to strop."

I have a custom scaled Le Grelot with the same problem. The razor shaves very well, but stropping is difficult. I've also found the overhang to interfere somewhat with my grip while shaving certan areas. I'm considering sending it back for modification so it becomes more user friendly.

The Snake is a striking razor.
John
xChris

Post by xChris »

I have razors that have presented me problems with stropping too. Like you, good doctor, I figure a way to get it done. Those razors will be used too! They are a tool first and foremost; the art is the benefit.
Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Some pictures:

The chequering on the spine extends over the nose:

The stropping problem; how to grip this?

I haven't yet got it all the way to the level of sharpness I like, but it is coming. It is large and heavy - 10.5" long when folded, 12" long fully open and weighs 110g or 4oz - so shaving with it is a bit awkward at first.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

WOW
xChris

Post by xChris »

Perhaps tightening the pivot (like Maestro Livi does in his videos) is the best way to allow a good stropping? Basically, make the razor a long fixed-blade razor/knife. Although, that certainly presents the problem of even more gear (wrench) & prep time within the den.
Chris
ZethLent

Post by ZethLent »

C'est Fantastique!!

素晴らしい!!

I am always impressed by the ivory that the Mastro gets his hands on.

A beautiful razor, and scale(s).
笑う門に福来る。
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Gorgeous, simply gorgeous!

Chris
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

Chris,

Your new razor is amazing and is quite a work of art. Thanks for sharing. The tail makes a De Pew's look almost normal! :lol:
-Stephen
fritz

Post by fritz »

xChris wrote:Perhaps tightening the pivot (like Maestro Livi does in his videos) is the best way to allow a good stropping? Basically, make the razor a long fixed-blade razor/knife. Although, that certainly presents the problem of even more gear (wrench) & prep time within the den.
How about two pieces of plastic, just thick enough to slide between the scales right behind the pivot pin. The edges would be contoured to match the curves of the tang, thereby locking the handle in place. Perhaps use two strips of double-sided velcro to squeeze everything snugly together, and the strip nearest the pin would provide a pad for your thumb and forefinger to roll the razor.
Der Fritzer
"There are nine and sixty ways of constructing tribal lays, and every single one of them is right!" R. Kipling
My Working Stuff