STR8S on ebay

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
gil3591

STR8S on ebay

Post by gil3591 »

i see a lot of razors for cheap on ebay. are they junk. if not, is there a good brand i should look for? ie. is master cutlery any good?
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

The same guidelines that apply to straights in general would apply to eBay straights, with the added caveat of knowing what you are looking at in regards to the true condition of the razor. Ive seen some great blades that were purchased off of eBay, but it has become more of a challenge lately.

My first draft choice would be to buy something from a forum member, some great, great buys with far less risk, imo.

Good Luck.
ZethLent

Post by ZethLent »

Gil,

A lot of those super cheap razors on E-bay are not able to take and hold a fine/keen enough edge to use in a straight razor shave.

Granted the low cost is appealing but don't get duped as most of them are crap. (understand I speak of the 'new' looking dime a dozen straights).

If you get over to SRP their classifieds usually has some good deals and you have a better chance to get something that you know is reliable.

The 'cheaper' Dovo razors are also a good way to get started. Later on if you so desire and if finances allow, you can get a Livi Snake like Chris. :)

BTW the cheaper Dovo's are made from swedish steel and will take a very nice edge and should be all you 'need', but we all know that the need for more and better tools is a life long pursuit.

Good luck.
笑う門に福来る。
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i was looking at the german antiques. looking at the blade edge and scales for any problem. there is an american made old razor that is etched as damascus silver steel. i've heard that damascus steel was supposed to be the best. any opinions? my thinking is that if i get an old quality razor , have vintage blades hone it, then all i'll need is a strop here rt the house. i get to play for cheap that way! :lol:
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I don't think there were any damascus bladed straight razors made in the days when they were in mass production, not in America nor, now I think about it, anywhere else. Damascus straights are a phenomenon belonging to the resurgence of the straight, and began when custom knife makers, who did make damascus blades, were asked to make razors. The first damascus production razor of the modern era was made by TI, and it looked a bit different to the one they sell now. A term like 'damascus silver steel' seems likely to be just cashing in on the aura surrounding the myth of damascus (cuts silk scarves, other sword blades etc) and the mid-19th century marketing ploy of silver steel.
Having said all that, it's probably a great shaver as there many excellent American cutlers. Can you show us a picture?

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

can't send a pic, sorry
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
yohannrjm

Post by yohannrjm »

Gil,
I'd advise against getting something off Ebay unless there are great pics (especially of the edge) and you know exactly what to look for.
That's not to say you can't get a great deal off Ebay, but it is hard to find a real bargain that more experienced people are also not going to be bidding on.
If you're just getting into straights, I'd suggest getting one from the StraightRazorPlace classifieds. Most of the dealers on there are very good, and if they say the razor is shave-ready, it will be. The prices are also reasonable (~$50 for a vintage shave-ready straight).
Otherwise, Ken Rup at Ruprazor.com, Lynn at SRD, and vintageblades are all great places to get a shave ready straight honed by masters.
rsrick

Post by rsrick »

Here are a few of the razors to avoid, which I pulled from the SRP's wiki:

"Best Quality" (Not to be confused with Dovo brand razors bearing the legend, Best Quality)
"Good Quality"
"High Quality"
"Special Quality"
"Two Man"
Cyrill R Salter
Kriegar
Master
MasterUSA
Pakistani (any razor made in pakistan)
Razors "designed by Jim Frost"
Sanguine
Selective Professional
Simco
Steel Warrior
Timber Rattler
Timber Wolf
Tomahawk
Venus
Zeepk
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I think the Cyril Salter branded straights are from Solingen (probably Dovos) so they should be safe.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

thanks, i'm not going to consider anything new.
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
ferroburak

Post by ferroburak »

SRP's wiki pages are very handy for newbies.
jbc

Post by jbc »

At least in my opinion its worth a bit of effort and dollars to buy a blade from a dealer that you know will get you quality stuff from a maker who you know makes great stuff even if you do pay twice or three tiems as much you know its good stuff and its worth it. In my opinion I get my favorite dovos from classic shaving.com. I know classic shaving and I know dovo both are excellent businesses. I know I am playing it safe but when my face is on the line I think its worth it.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Gil, you live in Lorain no? Go to SRP and get into contact with Lynn. If your willing to drive to his house (just east of Medina) he may give you a lesson.