Off the wagon

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
timc

Off the wagon

Post by timc »

I've been shaving with a straight exclusively for about four months now, but this past weekend I went away, and rather than take my straight with me, I brought my Merkur HD along for the ride. I have to say I really wanted the straight razor to work for me, but the DE shave was so effortless and smooth that I think I'm going to put the straight away for a while.

I've been shaving with the DE all week and I find it to be a much more enjoyable experience. I have been able to get smooth shaves with the straight, but not as comfortably or as quickly. I probably need to spend some time honing my blade, or sending it out to be honed, but for now, the DE shaving experience is taking centre stage once again.
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

ummm, what kinds of straights do you have? some here may be willing to help lift your burden. :D

I've gone back to DE temporarily because I f-ed up my arm such that stropping makes me sore, and I will say I'm a lot more happy with my DE shaves than I was before I switched to straights. I think the conventional wisdom is backwards - you should start with straights and go to DE (should you so desire) after straights because I'm much better with DE now than I was (but I'm drooling to get back to my straights).
timc

Post by timc »

loueedacat1 wrote:I think the conventional wisdom is backwards - you should start with straights and go to DE (should you so desire) after straights because I'm much better with DE now than I was (but I'm drooling to get back to my straights).
Absolutely how I feel. I switched from cartridges about three years ago, and I was getting good shaves with the DE before I tried the straight. Going back just seemed so ... easy. The razor glides over my face with no resistance and it does a great job. No tugging, and not really feeling anything at all except on the ATG pass. It's going to be hard to get back to the straight again.
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tim et al., Well, I agree. If one is coming from a cartridge, and has ANY inclination to perhaps try a straight, do it THEN! The transition is actually easier. Those great and effortness shaves you're now getting from the DE, I've been getting for several decades, so the transition to the straight was just not doable. I just couldn't cope with the pulling and tugging.....the lack of smoothness in the cut. And the razors I was using were honed by pros. Maybe not quite Chris Moss sharp, but well honed by gents who knew what they were doing. Just couldn't make the switch....been using a DE for too long.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

Good points made. Shaving with a straight razor is not everybody's cup of tea. However, it's not really like you're choosing your spouse. Nobody is being forced to make a choice, door #1 or door#2. Mr. Gillette got tired of the hassle associated with straight razors, so he changed the course of human history, literally. Straight razor shaving was quickly becoming a lost art, and fortunately, gentlemen like Chris Moss and Lynn Abrams have spent many years working to keep it alive and making it possible for guys like me to be able to do it and to love it. I can love two modes of shaving, and I do. I can move easily from one to the other, and I do. Learning how to shave with a straight razor is difficult. I happen to gravitate toward the challenge of conquering something that is difficult. I'm in the game, and not quitting on either option.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444