newbie needs help

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Maunus

newbie needs help

Post by Maunus »

Hello!! I have been shaving with a merkur double edge probably for 4 weeks and have not bled to death. am I ready for a straight razor?

I enjoy making the lather, etc.

which model? price?

thanks

bob
Kerchew

Post by Kerchew »

The straight is a serious committment. Don't underestimate what you will be getting into. I just started and have to admit it is very much a challenge. There are however several aspects I find appealing. 1. Nothing to the landfill. 2. A close shave (Once your skill level improves) Be warned though, I have found it difficult, especially the manipulation of the instrument on certain parts of the face. Read and head the advice of experienced straight users and DON'T GIVE UP!!

Good luck
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

4 weeks? Give it a while yet. A straight razor requires serious amounts of dedication with respect to cash outlay, learning stropping, honing and shaving. You may end up loving your straight, and being an expert, but 4 weeks of DE use doesn't enable me to say you are ready just yet. Use up all your DE blades and then think again.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris is probably right, that it's a little too soon. But if you really want to give it a try, then fairly soon, I say. The more comfy you get with the DE, the harder the transition I found.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

Bob, you will know you are ready when the time comes. There is a wealth of information available. If you haven't already, you should first take the time to read Chris Moss's Guide to Straight Razor Shaving which you will find posted on the ShaveMyFace Home page. It is excellent, and Chris has kept it updated. Then you should look up Lynn Abrams' videos on straight razor shaving. And reading the straight razor comments and responses on the shaving forums will give you a familiarity and insight into the practices and concerns of guys like yourself who have taken the plunge and are just learning, as well as well-seasoned shavers with years of experience. Then when you've made a decision to acquire a good shave-ready razor, you will want to launch the process with confidence. It takes a good bit of mental preparation and a dedication to learning something new and challenging.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
matt321

Post by matt321 »

The actual shaving operation is not that difficult. After a few tentative weeks you develop a natural touch or instinct for angles and position on the face.

The harder part is getting and maintaining a comfortable shaving edge. However, if you have the time and interest it is all great fun. Turning a mundane chore into a fascinating hobby is a cool thing. 8)

You can start now by reading and studying as has been suggested above.
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

I think the decision to move to straights is totally irrational, as is the continuing investment if get into collecting and different styles of razor, so if you really get the bug, wait a bit, and if you still have the bug just go for it.

I'd get a starter set from Straightrazordesigns.com - you'll get a nicely honed dovo and a strop. And then if you like it invest in a versatile hone like a norton 4k/8k or a coticule.

I actually find DE shaving did not make me a better straight shaver, whereas I did find the converse to be true.

Many roads to Rome as they say.
brothers

Post by brothers »

loueedacat1 wrote:I actually find DE shaving did not make me a better straight shaver, whereas I did find the converse to be true.
This has been my experience also. In addition, I have found (At least to date: this part might change later on, you never know!) that when I take a break from the straights for a few days and go back to the DEs, later on when I go back to the straights again, I seem to be able to get even better shaves with the straights. The one really important thing I've learned from the straights is how valuable the increased focus and attention to detail becomes, and the habit of paying such close attention to technique then carries over to the DE shaving.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Leighton

Re: newbie needs help

Post by Leighton »

Maunus wrote:Hello!! I have been shaving with a merkur double edge probably for 4 weeks and have not bled to death. am I ready for a straight razor?

I enjoy making the lather, etc.

which model? price?

thanks

bob
Of course your ready! (says the eneabler...)

It just takes a confident hand and good control of the blade. Confidence in self is good too.

Come on in, the lather is warm, and the shaves are better. IMHO. And when you get the hang of the straight, you can look down upon the unshaved masses with pity. I know I do. :)
Humble Honester on the quest for the ultimate edge.
ronnie brown

Post by ronnie brown »

this might help my nephew is 19 and he wanted to shave with a sr so i had him get his dad to ok it,he did so i set him up with a sr i had him watch me shave then i had him prep the face he made the lather and he told me to stand back, and my mouth droped open .he was going at it like he was born to it. now he shaves with the sr only. my son was the same way. but i was the only one around here so i watched the pfd about sr shaving on the home page here and i got after it.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Great story. Confidence is the key, I think.
Gary

GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

I don't think many of us will ever forget the first day we actually took that naked blade to our face. Like a right of passage in some ways.
A test of resolve and confidence at first and after not too long a realization that for the most part it isn't THAT hard.
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

If it weren't for the honing part, I'd be all over the straight. I have 3. 2 from Bill Ellis and 1 I bought over on SRP that Lynn had honed. I look at them and thing 'yeahhhh....', but that whole honing thing makes me leary. I HAVE used one of the Bill Ellis razors and actually got a pretty okay shave. I just need to either make the leap or sell my razors.
Contributing Member to the Cause
shavedhead

Post by shavedhead »

Bob

I too shaved with a Merker Vision for the longest of times and so the answer to your question really falls back on you I feel that a straight takes some time to get accustomed too and it is nothing you can not do so if you feel you are ready then by all means proceed; I converted to the straights about 3 months ago and have never looked back. I have just caution you that shaving with a straight is not like shaving with a regular razor.

:evil:
Have a wonderful shaving day
grumpy old codger

Post by grumpy old codger »

Technique is very important. Desire and $$$$ help. 120 years ago, men did not have the option of a DE first. Just go for it, but remember:
technique is important
practice makes perfect

I'd start with s low cost DOVO, properly honed and a TM practice strop.
The soap, etc., can be what you're using now.

GO FOR IT!
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Tye wrote:If it weren't for the honing part, I'd be all over the straight. I have 3. 2 from Bill Ellis and 1 I bought over on SRP that Lynn had honed. I look at them and thing 'yeahhhh....', but that whole honing thing makes me leary. I HAVE used one of the Bill Ellis razors and actually got a pretty okay shave. I just need to either make the leap or sell my razors.
I find that plenty of newcomers to the straight world are put off by the honing part of the process, and I think the reason is the many esoteric and arcane discussions on honing that take place.

The thing is - those discussions tend to be about restoration projects rather than simple maintenance honing.

I have one hone, a Belgian coticule which is a thing of natural beauty. I use it to touch up the edge of the razor I use daily, and do so anywhere from every couple of weeks to every couple of months depending on laziness and opportunity.

100 laps on the stone, and I have a very nice shaving edge, no great skill needed beyond the same touch required to shave in the first place.

Now, the razor in question came to me from the honing bench of Chris Moss, who is lightyears ahead of me on honing skill and experience, and always will be, and his edge was far better than what I can do. The main point for me though is that I can maintain an edge that shaves me well, cleanly and without irritation, and that was my goal.

To cut a long post short by adding more words - maintaining a shaving edge on an already hicely honed razor isn't the challenge people think it is (I can do it...:wink:). Restoring old razors and repairing damaged edges is an art form.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Dominic, if you ever need you can always send it back for the full treatment!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Dominic, is stropping a part of your obviously simple but effective regimen?

Edit: Disregard! Dumb question. I see your earlier post about your Illinois 127 strop. (I read your comment above much too literally.)
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

In maintaining an edge on an open razor I adhere to Dominic's rigid schedule.
Regards,
Squire
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

I confess I probably would not strop my blade often enough! :lol:

Alan
[Currently]
Futur
Croma blade [Shaves so far 18]
Omega Syntex bush
VDH & Trumpers Sandlewood soaps