Bloody old razor

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
desmoface

Bloody old razor

Post by desmoface »

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! So, my In-Laws are visiting from New England. This evening they pulled out this old straight razor, it apparently was my Father In Law's Grandfathers. I dunno much about straights, but it appears to be pretty old. I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to what vintage it may be? Worth anything?

I'll apologize in advance as the white balance is way off, but here's the pics.:

This picture shows the Patent date of May 28, 07 - Which I assume to be 1907.

Thanks in advance for any info/insight.

Steve
ronnie brown

Post by ronnie brown »

that is for triming the hair on neck and around the ears not ment to shave the face with
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

that looks like fun. and appears to be marketed for cutting hair, shaving neck and shaving face.

do you have refill blades? Looks like a shavette with an "open comb" feature.
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

You can usually find one of these on Ebay. I haven't seen any big bidding wars, but they do seem to sell, so somebody is using them.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

You can usually find one of these on Ebay. I haven't seen any big bidding wars
LOL

Way back when I first joined smf I mentioned having one of these razors. While waiting for the responses to my thread I sat back, drank a becks and wondered where i would spend my new found riches!!!

LOL again

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
desmoface

Post by desmoface »

Nope, no refills...I guess it's not worth all that much LOL.. Thanks for the replies, though.

Steve
loueedacat1 wrote:that looks like fun. and appears to be marketed for cutting hair, shaving neck and shaving face.

do you have refill blades? Looks like a shavette with an "open comb" feature.
brothers

Post by brothers »

It seems that the flea markets are kind of flooded with these contraptions. They don't seem to be extremely in demand. However, the old one in the photos looks to be in excellent collector condition. It's obviously got a lot of sentimental value, and is a very nice piece.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

A friend of mine who is 80 told me a story about his Father shaving with something like this. Not the same as Bill's Father used one that held half a DE blade and shaved like an open razor. The old gentleman lived well into his 80s and Bill said it was the only razor his Father ever owned.
Regards,
Squire
shavedhead

Post by shavedhead »

WOW! a collectors item that looks like it is meant to trim and touch up hair on the neck:
Have a wonderful shaving day
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The Durham Duplex was intended for facial shaving - hence the instructions for using it that way in the photos above. The shave is similar to that of an open-comb DE, and nothing like that of a proper straight!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Scott_C

Post by Scott_C »

The following website will give you some information about your razor.

www.uniclectica.com/misc/manuf.html

Scroll down to the "D" category and then to "Durham Duplex". There you will find a brief history of the company that manufactured it.

Hope this helps you out.