Need help identifying a razor.

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
danreeves1973

Need help identifying a razor.

Post by danreeves1973 »

Recieved an old straight razor from my grandmother for Christmas. Have no intentions to use it, but would like to find out more about it.

It has celluloid handles, square point blade, carbon steel, the shank is engraved "Andy's Wedge" and "hand forged" below that. It also has a small star engraved on the end of the tang.

Have done a few Google searches and so far nothing. Any info is appreciated.
You came here with nothing, you will leave with less
TstebinsB

Post by TstebinsB »

If possible, post a photo.
ryrelav

Post by ryrelav »

PICS please
matt321

Post by matt321 »

I checked the razor database at SRP and didn't see that name. Reminds me a little of this one:
http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/i ... ade%22_5/8
Click to enlarge:

Similar names:
"Bowdin's Wedge/ Hand Made" versus "Andy's Wedge/ Hand Forged"
Last edited by matt321 on Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
danreeves1973

Post by danreeves1973 »

sorry for the delay, holidays got in the way. I trying to get a better camera to get more detailed pics, this should give you an idea of what it is at least.

First pic is the detail on the name, second the entire razor with a penny as a scale reference. The handle has a fine stripe pattern on it also.

TstebinsB

Post by TstebinsB »

Sorry but I can't help you. I'm not familiar with the razor.
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

the lines on that razor (and the scale material) look a little bit like a "brockton" razor I have made by christianson. Maybe that's a store branded christianson?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I can't tell you about the manufacture, but the scales look like bone, and the blade looks like - well, do any of those corroded spots involve the edge? If they do it is unlikely to shave without major work. If they don't they will leave cosmetic damage after polishing but won't affect the shave.

I'll make a wild guess about origin. The flat bone scales, thick tang and shank, and narrow (?4/8) blade suggest an English-style travelling razor of around 1870-1880. I don't believe the blade is narrow through wear as the scales are narrow to match. But "Andy's Wedge" is not a name that would be stamped on a razor sold in England in those days; it has to be American. Whether it was stamped for re-sale in the US, or US-made I can't tell. Just a guess.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
danreeves1973

Post by danreeves1973 »

Not interested in getting it in shape to shave with, just one for the collection.

The scales are fairly flexible, which made me think celluloide. Also they have a fine stripe pattern, about 1/16th of an inch stripe, running the width of the scale, very uniform pattern. Would bone be flexible like that and have such a pattern?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The way to know for sure is to touch a hot needle to the inside of the scale and see if it melts.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
danreeves1973

Post by danreeves1973 »

I'll try that, very carefully of course. If it's not bone, any idea on the age range. 1920's to 30's?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Celluloid doesn't mean young: it was first made in the 1850's, and became widely used from about 1880.
But here's a little wrinkle for you - see the shoulder of the blade in the first photo? There isn't one! Compare with a modern blade and see the difference.
Here's a blade with one shoulder:

Here's an (infamous) example of the double shoulder, introduced to stiffen extra-hollow blades:

Here's a modern shoulderless blade (Hart razor):

And here is yours:

There is no shoulder extending down to the edge. Instead there is a ground surface on the side of the tang, or shank, that bevels it. This was known as a "long cut" blade, and was in fashion among Birmingham razor grinders circa 1860-1880. That's one of the reasons I think it is English-made or English-styled. In the latter case, it might have been made in the US according to the English fashion, but I doubt it was made after 1900.

Chris
Yes, the Hart has a vestigial version of the long cut as a nod to tradition.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

I'm surprised that chronik was willing to be shown in public next to the livi! :shock: