Blade style for newbie

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
stagger

Blade style for newbie

Post by stagger »

My first straight will be ordered tomorrow night. I have decided to get the DOVO Ebony in 5/8. What I haven't decided on is style of blade. Would you veterans recommend the Spike point or the Round point for a newbie to learn with? Or does it even matter? Any input from you gentlemen would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Stagger
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Round is easier for beginners - the spike will lead to a few cuts around the nose until you learn to be extra careful with the point.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
stagger

Post by stagger »

Thanks Chris. That's kinda what I was worrying about. Lord knows I'm ugly enough (in a mannish sort of way) without adding scars around my nose. Thanks for the help, and have a great day.

Mark
mruben

Post by mruben »

My suggestion would be a 5/8 round point of good steel (maybe even stainless, as it tends to hold its edge, so there will be less need for rehoning while you are learning). Don't worry too much about the cosmetics of the scales as long as they are tight, not warped, and the blade centers.
mruben

Post by mruben »

My suggestion would be a 5/8 round point of good steel (maybe even stainless, as it tends to hold its edge, so there will be less need for rehoning while you are learning). Don't worry too much about the cosmetics of the scales as long as they are tight, not warped, and the blade centers.
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

The Dovo Ebony is a great blade. I have the round point. It is real easy to maintain.
Ed
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I'll echo what Chris wrote.
My transition from round to spike left me with a couple of nicks on the side of my nose.
I started with 5/8, but was drawn to the bigger blades and use an 8/8 each day now, so I might have been better going for 6/8 or 7/8 for my first purchase - you, of course, are not me (to my knowledge), so that may not apply here.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Chap

Post by Chap »

Round, I find the spike just to be something to watch out for, though I have no facial hair that would require very close, precise work.