Close smooth shaves every time - DE/Straight

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
brothers

Close smooth shaves every time - DE/Straight

Post by brothers »

Just so I can say I did ask: Is it just me, or am I correct that generally speaking, a DE shave, done well and with the proper prep and equipment of course, is always going to be smoother than a straight razor shave? This question is probably not answerable by anyone who exclusively shaves with a DE or a straight razor.

I alternate on a daily basis because I want to do it that way, and won't ever give up the DE razors. I'm now entering my second year of the world of straight razors, and am finding success with the hones and strops involved in making the straight razors a more complicated and time consuming hobby.

Today I achieved one of the top 4 most excellent straight razor shaves ever, maybe #1, with a Clauss full hollow razor identical to the USMC, but without the Marine embossing. The end result every day with a DE is virtually smoother than the end result every day with a straight.

Repeating what's above, is it just me? As time passes, will it get equally as smooth as any given DE/blade combo? If so, then I've got a while to go. If not, then who knows. I love the straights and I love all of the stuff and the work, but it does make one wonder, doesn't it?

I appreciate any opinions you might feel comfortable offering.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
giammi

Post by giammi »

I do always a WTG/XTG/ATG passes, independently of the razors I use.
If I go by amount of BBS, then I obtain better results with a DE.

The reason for it lies in the horizontal/complicated growth direction of my beard around the neck region towards the chin. This makes it more difficult/time consuming for me to obtain a complete BBS with a straight razor.

Now on the other parts of my face, the straight razor excels and my feeling is that I get better results in beard reduction, smoothness and irritation free skin.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I don't think the answer is a simple yes or no. Immediately after a DE shave I feel smoother, but later on the returning stubble is prickly and sharp, whereas the stubble after a straight shave is less spiky. I assume this is because the straight blade chops through the hairs rather than slicing them. DE users will notice the same effect from Feather blades compared to, say, Merkurs. The other factor for me is that if I go for a completely smooth DE shave, then there's an even chance I'll have an ingrown hair under my jawline within a couple of days. This is where my hair follicles lie almost flat and a close-cut hair will often get stuck trying to get out. The satisfaction of a well-conducted straight shave is immense, whereas using a DE is so easy that I'm always feel rather ashamed of myself on the rare occasions when I use one.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
matt321

Post by matt321 »

I haven't used a DE in over 40 years so I can't really say. I will add this though. I have been a dedicated straight user for three years now and my honing and shaving are still improving!
brothers

Post by brothers »

Giammi, you're right about the areas of the beard growth where maneuvering the straight razor takes a bit more finesse and concentration to get it smooth. Those are the areas where the quality of the shave is challenged.

Chris, I smile when I read your statement that the satisfaction of a well-conducted straight shave is immense, whereas using a DE is so easy that you feel guilty when you shave with one. That's true for me also. I think it's that feelilng of satisfaction of being able to use the straight with good effect that is just missing with the DE. Conversely, the uniform excellence of the daily shave and low maintenance is what I like so much about the DEs.

I'm thinking when I reach the 2 or 3 year mark with the straights, like Matt says, I'll still be learning and improving, hopefully! I'm not going to think about changing my routine, so I'll just concentrate on narrowing my choices of both types of razors to the ones that work best for me, and maintain full speed ahead.

You guys are a big help with your shared insight and experience.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

Gary,

I've never used a DE so I can't speak on its behalf. I have however been using western straights and it's Japanese counterpart ( kamisori ). The latter by far provides closest shave compared to any of my straights-even one that's been honed by a so-called "honemeister." I just honed up one of my kamisori's and it performed like it did first time.
Seraphim

Post by Seraphim »

I haven't used a DE in almost two years now, so I'm going on recollection...

A DE feels smoother during the shave, due to the PTFE coating on the blade, really just glides along the skin.

The straight shave feels smoother BBS-wise much longer after the shave is completed.

So, you pays your money, and you makes your choices....

:wink:
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I think either one should perform admirably. Personally I've used a straight most of my life but I have tried other methods here and there. The straight, for me, provides the mildest, closest and smoothest shave of all. But that's because of technique and choice of maintenance. Once you've got these nailed I think that's it.

I think a person gravitates one way or the other depending on innate preference. The trick, I think, is to figure that out and let it be.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Amen.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

Good advice, Chris. Some guys think you can't do both, but that's kinda like saying you can't drive an automatic and a standard/with a clutch. I'm pleased that I've figured out which way I like to shave, and that is with blades, both straight and double edge. And I'm staying with it.
Gary

IanM

Post by IanM »

bernards66 wrote:Chris, Amen.
Regards,
Gordon
+1

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
stagger

Post by stagger »

I use both straight and DE razors, but use the DE most of the time. I pull out the straight when I have a little extra time and want to pamper my face. I can get BBS almost every time with my Fat Handled Tech. Not so much with the Dovo Ebony. The problem with it lies in the neck area which I'm sure can be attributed to technique. Am still learning angles and approaches in this area. But...the rest of my face gets BBS every time with my Dovo, and the smoothness lasts longer than with the Tech.
Regards,
Mark -
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

I shave straight probably 95% and DE 5%.

I think DE is more consistently a teeny bit closer right after the shave, but the skin doesn't look as nice, and looks more tender, and it hurts more with say aftershave. But both get so close it doesn't really matter, and if I'm careful both are smooth enough to make me happy.

For me the difference is the straight is a smoother shave - my face doesn't look tender, doesn't feel tender, and at 5 or 6 oclock it looks just as smooth as the DE shave. And I just find the straight shave more satisfying. But both are good stuff, as are injectors.

I like the straights "better" but I still love pulling out a DE from time to time and using different blades.