Country of origin Geo. Wostenholm Pipe Razor

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
brothers

Country of origin Geo. Wostenholm Pipe Razor

Post by brothers »

The blade doesn't say so, but I seem to recall that someone said Wostenholm was in Sheffield. Is that correct, or is this a German blade?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Wostenholm was a Sheffield company for certain. I can't say anything about individual blades because I know nothing about them.
brothers

Post by brothers »

This confirms my prior understanding. Thanks.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Very much Sheffield, founded by George Wostenholm and a supplier of pocket knives and bowies that wound up on cowboy gunbelts.
mpisarcik

Post by mpisarcik »

I often think of them as the "working mans" Sheffield blade due to the popularity/cost of nice W&B's.
ferroburak

Post by ferroburak »

Sheffield razors had their steel from Sweden and some of them were ground in Germany.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

ferroburak wrote:Sheffield razors had their steel from Sweden and some of them were ground in Germany.
Very, very rarely. It was called Sheffield Steel for a good reason!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ferroburak

Post by ferroburak »

drmoss_ca wrote:
ferroburak wrote:Sheffield razors had their steel from Sweden and some of them were ground in Germany.
Very, very rarely. It was called Sheffield Steel for a good reason!

Chris
I remember reading that Sweden was producing most of the cast steel of the world in the 19th century. British Empire was also producing steel in India(which was a dependency of British Empire.)

I also think German razor craftsmanship was better (and older too) than Sheffield as US razor companies preferred German manufacturers over English ones for import.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

No, Sheffield was the first large scale center of cutlery manufacture ( including razors )...Solingen only developed later. 'Silvered steel' for straight razor blades was first produced in Sheffield in the 1840s. The main German contribution was the proceedure of hollow grinding the blades and came along latter; most classic Sheffield blades of that time were wedge shaped. Of course, to this day, some straight razor shavers still prefer the wedge design.
Regards,
Gordon
ferroburak

Post by ferroburak »

bernards66 wrote:No, Sheffield was the first large scale center of cutlery manufacture ( including razors )...Solingen only developed later. 'Silvered steel' for straight razor blades was first produced in Sheffield in the 1840s. The main German contribution was the proceedure of hollow grinding the blades and came along latter; most classic Sheffield blades of that time were wedge shaped. Of course, to this day, some straight razor shavers still prefer the wedge design.
Regards,
Gordon
Cast steel is an innovation that is beyond cutlery.

For my statement related to German craftsmanship you can check here:

http://www.worldknives.com/info/knives- ... ny-43.html
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

You might find it enlightening to read this overview of early steel making processes. While 'cast steel' is sometimes used as a synonym for crucible steel, the name went through a phase of popularity simply as a marketing ploy long after nearly all steel was being made by the Bessemer process. You'll find razors as late as the 1860's - 70's with Cast Steel stamped on the tang. Then read up on the paragraphs about steel production in Sheffield here.

It's true that the majority of iron ore was mined in Sweden, and some of it was converted into pig iron for export. The actual amount of steel made in Sweden was relatively small, though some of it very good, especially as far as razors are concerned that from Eskilstuna. Damasteel from Sweden is used today in some Livis.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
matt321

Post by matt321 »

From Wikipedia:
A razor blade starts, at the Thiers Issard factory, as a shape called the blank supplied by the steel manufacturer. Thiers Issard traditionally has used Sheffield silver steel, long considered a superior quality carbon steel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiers_Issard

Does this mean the TI steel comes from Sheffield mills?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Yes, TIs used Sheffield steel, but did the lead-hardening on site. It's been some years since I bought a TI (seems to me that I have enough of them!) and I believe they introduced a new steel with the Silverwing. I don't know where it comes from and they aren't saying.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace