Ever since I was a kid...

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
casecracker

Ever since I was a kid...

Post by casecracker »

When I was 9 I used to watch a tape recorded PBS special of Sweeney Todd with George Hurn and Angela Lansberry. Ever since then I must admit I've had a secret desire for straight razor shaving. NOT because I can go on a murderous rampage - NO! Because the instrument itself just looks like something a man's man, a real man, oughta shave with.

That being said, I am on the hunt for my first straight razor. I have a tough, thick, coarse beard. My stubble could scrape new facial features into Mt. Rushmore. So I'm kind of in a quandry - is sharper better for me? Do I want a wedge blade or a full hollow blade because of this?

I've also been looking at the Feather AC straight razors (with the injectable blades). They look like sturdy, good razors - not fake shavette-type play toys. My only consideration is that I also hear they are super sharp - to the point of maybe I wanna practice with something else first.

I really want to focus on the shaving aspect as I don't really have time to get to learning about the honing techniques, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or maybe know where I can get a decent priced shave-ready blade to start with?

- Jevon

(Sorry for all the questions randomly spaced throughout the above missive)
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

If you want a serious razor, any of the Dovos are good. I have a Dovo Ebony and really like it.

If you just want to just shave Amazon has the Diane Shaving Razor for $3.89 (http://www.amazon.com/Diane-D06021006-S ... 340&sr=8-1). It uses DE blades, and it does hold the blades secure.
Ed
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Buy a shave-ready old straight from a 'name' on SRP. You'll need a strop and try at first shaving with the grain. You'll soon find out if you like it. Feathers are well-made, but very sharp, and most of us can't use one all the time without our skins suffering.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
casecracker

Post by casecracker »

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to check out SRP (I assume that stands for straightrazorplace.com...?)

Does the grind of the blade particularly matter in terms of coarse beard versus someone who might have a lighter beard?

What I don't want to do is just buy any blade, but research it out and see if I can get a better feel for what might be best for my "beard type" - so to speak
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

For a first razor I would go with a 5/8 or 6/8 full or half hollow grind carbon steel.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
casecracker

Post by casecracker »

Thanks Chris! I'm very excited about this! Are you the same guy who wrote the tutorial on the homepage? Very simple for a newb like me to follow - kudos to you!

Jevon
matt321

Post by matt321 »

+1 with the 5/8 or 6/8. This is what most folks like in the long run. You may like something else but it would be a while before you would know for sure.

Here are two possible sources to check for budget shave-ready razors:
http://holli4pirating.wordpress.com/cat ... -for-sale/
http://www.ruprazor.com/store/index.php

Also you can check the classified sections on the forums. Be aware that there are many cheap, new razors on ebay that will not take and hold an edge.

I've been shaving with a 100-year old vintage razor this week that cost $4.99 on ebay. (But it is very scruffy looking, and I used hundreds of dollars worth of hones to make it shave ready. :roll: )
brothers

Re: Ever since I was a kid...

Post by brothers »

casecracker wrote:When I was 9 I used to watch a tape recorded PBS special of Sweeney Todd with George Hurn and Angela Lansberry. Ever since then I must admit I've had a secret desire for straight razor shaving. NOT because I can go on a murderous rampage - NO! Because the instrument itself just looks like something a man's man, a real man, oughta shave with.

That being said, I am on the hunt for my first straight razor. I have a tough, thick, coarse beard. My stubble could scrape new facial features into Mt. Rushmore. So I'm kind of in a quandry - is sharper better for me? Do I want a wedge blade or a full hollow blade because of this?

I've also been looking at the Feather AC straight razors (with the injectable blades). They look like sturdy, good razors - not fake shavette-type play toys. My only consideration is that I also hear they are super sharp - to the point of maybe I wanna practice with something else first.

I really want to focus on the shaving aspect as I don't really have time to get to learning about the honing techniques, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or maybe know where I can get a decent priced shave-ready blade to start with?

- Jevon

(Sorry for all the questions randomly spaced throughout the above missive)
Jevon, see this thread. http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=
LarryAndro is an active member on other forums, and he might be a good source of information and possibly a good shave ready and serviceable vintage straight razor for a beginning straight razor user.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
casecracker

Post by casecracker »

Chris! Thank you so much - this is exactly up my ally. Something to get me started and then I can upgrade. I'm going to get the 5/8 Kropp from this guy as I read some very good things about Kropps on SRP.

Thanks again!

One other question - if it ships shave ready, that does mean it will come with oil on the blade that I'll have to wash, and will it need to be stropped before first use?
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I think the oil question will depend on the vendor.

My first straight came from Lynn, and I don't remember any oil. It had instructions not to strop it before trying a shave. Stropping is a skill that needs to be mastered much like shaving, and I reckon the no stropping instruction is to ensure that the first shave is good just in case the new user rounds the edge through bad stropping technique.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
casecracker

Post by casecracker »

Thanks Icabod. Larry answered all my questions and gave me a manual on how to use and care for it. Awesome service he offers! Thank you all for your help.
Lord Ponsenberry Smyth

Post by Lord Ponsenberry Smyth »

casecracker wrote:Thanks Chris! I'm very excited about this! Are you the same guy who wrote the tutorial on the homepage? Very simple for a newb like me to follow - kudos to you!

Jevon
Yes, that's Chris.
We are fortunate to have the good doctor.
David Ponsenberry Smyth 111. ( Lord )
Advocate for the use of French and Italian soaps.

Post by matt321 »

casecracker wrote:When I was 9 I used to watch a tape recorded PBS special of Sweeney Todd with George Hurn and Angela Lansberry.
The acting and music in that one are vastly superior to the Johnny Depp movie by the way.
casecracker

Post by casecracker »

matt321 wrote:
casecracker wrote:When I was 9 I used to watch a tape recorded PBS special of Sweeney Todd with George Hurn and Angela Lansberry.
The acting and music in that one are vastly superior to the Johnny Depp movie by the way.
don't even mention that opprobrium! What a way to ruin a masterpiece of musical theatre.
casecracker

Post by casecracker »

I got my razor last night and used it today. I did one WTG pass with it, on the neck as well. Didn't nick myself. Didn't shave too well - about half way through my pass I found the "sweet spot" in terms of the blade angle.

Finished up with my Merkur DE razor which I've been using for a while and (ironically enough) nicked myself with that! :oops:

All in all - it was awesome!
matt321

Post by matt321 »

That's a good start. 8)
Closer results will come with time and experience.
casecracker

Post by casecracker »

Hell yes! I tried a new angle today and sliced my neck 8)

Wasn't anything my styptic pen couldn't handle.

I still feel like a badass 8)
casecracker

Post by casecracker »

No cuts today. Did two passes with the 5/8 Kropp and then finished ATG with my Merkur progress (not yet comfortable with going ATG with the straight). I noticed my angle and technique was better with the Merkur after using the straight - weird. Got the best shave I've had in a long time with the combo.
casecracker

Post by casecracker »

So I'm starting to get somewhat decent and going through the motions but the shave really isn't as close as I would like it to be...

I am wondering if this is due to sharpness or if more of a scything type motion is needed for my thick beard?

Anyway - I can do several passes and seem to have the basic shaving down - but I'd like to start trying to get closer shaves. Any suggestions?
"Now I'm not endorsing it, but you're going to have to pry it out of my cold, dead fingers." - Mantic
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Are both your passes with the grain? If so, you need to make the second one across the grain. This does require a sharper razor than the WTG pass, but for me the only bit that will cause a problem if the razor isn't really sharp is under my chin. Sometimes I will think I have a razor ready to use and all goes well till I get to that part. Time to find out if your razor is up to it (and don't forget adequate prep to make that beard soft!)

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace