Any hope for these blades?

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
casecracker

Any hope for these blades?

Post by casecracker »

I bought these guys almost 8 years ago (maybe more) at an antique store. I've never had very much hope for them, but let me know if there is anything I can do before I toss them.

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

If the edge is damaged by corrosion they will need to be ground away until there is good clean metal all along the edge. So if there is a rust spot or chip in the edge deeper than 1-2mm I wouldn't try. Everything else there can be ground or polished off. You would be best advised to look at the restored razors in the gallery at SRP and compare the before and after pics to see just what is possible. There are some very clever guys out there who can work wonders. As always, you have to decide if it is worth the cost for the razor concerned.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Maybe they don't measure up for restoration, but you could keep them for the scales or you could keep them for honing practice.
casecracker

Post by casecracker »

matt321 wrote:you could keep them for the scales or you could keep them for honing practice.
Brilliant idea! Thanks
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

the second one looks redeemable.
brothers

Post by brothers »

A bit more than a year ago the first two flea market specials I got hold of had rust on the edges. It was an excellent opportunity to learn honing and stropping, and to experience the very difficult journey from near-trash to shave-ready. A good set of hones and a microscope are a necessity to undertake this kind of project. The edge is completely unusable if there are rust pits present.

I've still got these two razors but don't use them, even though they both have sound shaving edges with no rust pits too close to the edge. Your two old razors represent the prospect of a lot of study, work and time that's going to have to be spent. The lessons learned have been priceless, but I've learned the hard way that I don't want or need any more rusty edges to practice on.

Just for clarity, it may be obvious, but it should be said that a rust pit up on the spine or somewhere far away from the edge is definitely a detriment to the condition and appearance of the razor, but the razor might be a great shaver, once it's properly sharpened. But pits on the edge are usually enough to kill any interest in owning that particular razor, especially to shave with.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bridger

Re: Any hope for these blades?

Post by bridger »

heck, if you're throwing them away throw them my way. I'll put in the time on them.