Smiles

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Sando

Smiles

Post by Sando »

Do you gents have a preference for a blade with a smile? I'm using an ERN 1166, which has a straight edge and round point. My technique is improving, I'm starting to get a decent shave. But I have a sense that a blade with a modest curved edge may speed up the learning curve. Anybody find this to be the case?

...Ray
matt321

Post by matt321 »

In three years I have yet to feel a difference. It's said that a smile can reach down into hollows below the jaw.

Also, while a smile may complicate honing a bit, it lessons the chance of a concave warp.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I can't see an advantage to a smiling razor, nor do I enjoy honing them.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

Ray,

I have one with sway back and smiling edge. Surprisingly, I didn't have a difficult time. I honed it doing 45 degree angle. Some employ a rolling-X pattern but I'm not at all comfortable with the idea. I actually had a hell of a time with spike point that had uneven spine wear warped toe with different bevels. Really needed a lot of work but eventually fixed it.

As far as shaving with smiling SR I don't see any advantage other than its aesthetic qualities.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

A blade with a substantial convex curve slices meat more smoothly and effectively than a straight edge.

Watch out. :shock:
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

Better a smile than a frown, but Ive found the regular straight edges to work best from both a honing and shaving reference overall.
Sando

Post by Sando »

matt321 wrote:It's said that a smile can reach down into hollows below the jaw.
I can see that but I was thinking more along the lines of a leading edge meeting the stubble at smaller area rather than the entire blade. I find shaving on a diagonal with a de to be more efficient.

I didn't consider honing but I'll be using the services of honemeisters for the foreseeable future.

As for slicing meat...well, my current setup is just perfect for that. :oops:
...Ray
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

You can angle your straight-razor stroke (leading with one corner or the other) in the same fashion as you do the DE, though perhaps not to the same extent due to lack of room.

I think choosing a smiling razor would just make your shave less predictable. And having a tricky-to-hone razor would not endear you to whoever gets to do the work. (Not that they would hate your razor, just that they wouldn't especially like it either.)
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

I like smiles because I know even I can't turn one into a frown without a lot of work. :D
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Question... I think I get the jist, but what exactly is a smiling straight?
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:Question... I think I get the jist, but what exactly is a smiling straight?
It has an edge (and corresponding spine) that curve away from the shaver's face at both ends, so that when you hold it in front of you with the spine upwards, it looks like (guess what).
SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:Question... I think I get the jist, but what exactly is a smiling straight?
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Got it! Thanks!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

SiR-ed8 wrote:
That's not a smile; that razor plainly never got the joke. Here's one that feels more humorous:
The infamous Big Daddy.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

This is a smiling swayback. Just won it on the bay - no idea if it's in shape to shave with but should be fun. I have a mint engstrom swayback and it's a lot of fun.[/img][/url]
Sando

Post by Sando »

drmoss_ca wrote: Image
The infamous Big Daddy.

Chris
Wow, that's a beaut Chris! I see so many choppers with smiles - is that due to honing over the years? by design?

...Ray
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

the smiling razors were made that way. the frowning razors arise from years of honing if they aren't honed right. I think with x strokes the tendency if you make an error is to create a frown, and it's suggested that you do extra quick strokes on the point and heel to avoid a frown (not to create a smile).
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

So frown avoidance tricks might include using a wider hone (the width of the blade) and not using an x stroke, or does that create other issues?
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

ichabod wrote:So frown avoidance tricks might include using a wider hone (the width of the blade) and not using an x stroke, or does that create other issues?
wider hone, so whole blade is in contact whole time, definitely is a tactic for frown avoidance (whether you do x stroke or not). except with smiling blades, which you have to do rolling x stroke on anyway.

other tactic, which someone here taught me is 10 quick professional strokes on each end to offset the middle bias.

I think the x stroke has other tooth formation benefits than honing the blade evenly on a narrow hone, but that is the main one.

But I think your favorite razor is an old W&B chopper, you're probably looking at some rolling x action anyway.

I think the main frown avoidance tactic is being careful abuot even pressure and doing the x in a way that as close as possible gives the same time to the ends of the blade as the middle.